A load of old billhooks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Now i love my axes as much, if not more, than the next man.
But i find a good billhook very useful and practical for a lot of things when out and about.
Personally i favour the hertfordshire pattern...

HertfoedshireBillHook.jpg

Anyone else use them much?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My grandmother always used to use one. After she died I tried to get hold of it, but nobody in the family will admit to having it so I guess somebody likes them at least as much as I do!

I wouldn't generally carry one on my person though, they're generally a bit on the heavy side and awkward, er, to boot.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
I've got several of different weights I use for hedgeing, and all manner of other things. Use them a lot more than the axe.
Cracking tools.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a couple lying around but don't use them much, I prefer an axe but they the best tools for hedge laying and coppicing.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I love my axes (and chainsaw!) but the bills and slashers have their place. I think they are more useful in the UK than a parang or machete. I've gathered 3 - a Yorkshire that I learned hedgelaying with at college, a Spear and Jackson Newton that I got given for light coppicing work a couple of years ago and a Leicestershire pattern that I recently inherited from my grandad. I'll try and get some pics.

Other than using them for coppicing/hedging, I press mine into service chopping kindling and heavy duty butchery.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Back in my days coppicing each winter this hook was perfect for the hazel and other smaller trees. You can pick things up with the hook saving a lot of stooping, because it dosen't curve forward like most billhooks you can get right in close to cut the hazel rods and you have more control for snedding branches.
They pack easier than an axe too.
Having said all that i can swing my double bitted Gransfors all day and not get bored!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE