A good outdoor watch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I saw a thread on BB that made me think of this.

What do you guys and gals think would be the best watch for the outdoors.

I like the Traser watches. (they offered us one for review but also wanted it back in a sellable condition :roll: so we said NO) but they seem very good. At the mo I use an old Casio that has the sunset, sunrise and temp on it. It's tough, I have to say that!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Tony, I go for very high contrast, readability, waterproof, bombproof as I wear the same watch always and everywhere.

After being very disappointed by a Seiko quartz chronograph, I'm just waiting delivery of an MWC navy divers watch that seems to fit the bill and only cost a third of the price. Black dial, big white markings, tritium.
If anyone has any experience of MWC, I'd be interested to hear them.

My dream watches are the french "bell & ross" mechanical watches (using german movements). Really good design for readability but these are in Rolex territory so I can't ever imagine buying one :cry:

Cheers, Alick

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I seem to get by with my old swatch black plastic with a white dial and excellent luminous hands that really do glow in the dark. :lol:

It's: light, waterproof and accurate and since it only cost £30.00 if it gets trashed then it's not the end of the world.

If cash was no object then I'd go for a Panerai Luminor Marina. :lol: :lol:

http://www.panerai.com/english/index.htm

But they cost more than my house :-( and i'd probably need a weight lifting course to get my arm above my head as they look seriously chunky.

The CWC diver looks good and if it's as well made as the issue G10's then it should last for ever.

Cheers

John

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I've had a couple over the years, I started with a casio G shock, then managed to get an issue CWC watch and I have now treated myself to a Suunto advizor. I like them all in there own way, the Suunto has some useful features and I got it cheaper because I got it in Holland as I was running through the airport, one of those impulse buys.
If you just want a watch that tells the time then the issue CWC would probably be my choice, I don't like going outdoors with a metal strap on my wrist (I've got a couple of Tags but I wore one in the desert a few years ago, never again).

Brian

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Brian said:
If you just want a watch that tells the time then the issue CWC would probably be my choice, I don't like going outdoors with a metal strap on my wrist (I've got a couple of Tags but I wore one in the desert a few years ago, never again).

Brian

I've got an automatic CWC, and as you say for a watch that tells the time, and that you can always read easily, they're the business - very robust too

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I've got a Rolex Explorer 2, which I've worn for the past 17 years, but I'm looking at the basic Traser as the lumo on the dial on my Rolex is a bit faint. Anyone with experience of Traser I'd be glad to hear about them.

Cheers

Shaun

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Tony said:
You have a traser........did you marry a rich woman?? Do you like it? Which one?

This one...

p6500.jpg

Well, actually I have the older version, the 3000 which is no longer produced, this is the 6500 which is the same watch i think, with slightly different markings.

It's a good watch, I'll send it to you to review if you like?

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I was looking at the Traser H3 P59 on the USMC site at £79.00. Seems good as a back up. Has anyone seen it anyware cheaper as USMC can be a little pricy (good service though, so swings and roundabouts :wink: ).

Cheers

Shaun

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Can you guys check out the range at Adventure1-
www.adventure1.co.uk
and let me know what you think ? I have never heard of any of them other than the Victorinox/swiss army watches, and I don't know if they are any good?
Cheers
(watchless)
Rich

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've got a Timex Ironman watch that cost me about 20 quid 8 years ago in the Middle East. Good light, plenty of alarms, countdown, etc. I've been through 3 different straps and the watch still works, is still waterproof, and I don't really care that much if I lose it as I'll just get another. Frankly, I'd be scared of losing anything over 30 quid!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm with Mikey on this one, the Timex Ironman is superb, tells the time every time. I'm on my third (don't bother changing the battery, just get a new one)- latest is the shock proof version (£20 at Argos). I have used these for years and they do everything you could ask (the night light is good enough to map read by too).
The other watch I use is a Polar heart rate monitor, very good for CV training and friction fire lighting (200BPM means theres a coal in the V notch!!!).
Neil1

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Excellent - that should go down as another method of measuring maximum heart rate! I can see the description in the training manuals now:

"Zone 5c - 90-100% Heartrate - Power/Bowdrilling"

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i have to agree on the cheap side of things but been 18 and not having a job i would. timex do some with a compass bearing which i use to remember what bearing im meant to be on when biking. plus i have messed it up coming of the mountain bike so i still wouldn't spend a lot even if i could

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
my favorite watch is the one my wife bought me ......its a timex epedition with digital compass which has proved itself to be spot on £40..... :lol:

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Here's mine. It's the titanium luminox, the overseas version of the traser. Been pretty durable so far considering how much abuse it's taken. Got a NATO band instead of the rubber one and put a suunto compass on it.

104_0406.JPG

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The GF bought me one of the new Casio Protrek watches, bloody good actually, compass works a treat (unless you're standing under power cables) and I'm beginning to wonder how I lived without the barometer... stopped me getting wet several times :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE