A few of my knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
Hi everybody,

Having put my first post up recently I thought I'd show you guys a few of the knives I've made over the last year. I like working with recycled materials and native hardwoods mostly although I do also use "new" 01 carbon steel as well.

OriginalLumpsmall.jpg

CIMG1565.jpg

DSCF3501.jpg

DSCF3520.jpg

The first knife is my first attempt at knife making . I ground the blade from the handle end of an old kindling chopper which my dad had in the woodshed for years.( top picture) There was enough steel for two blades. I ground the blade with a single chisel bevel, flat on the back.

The handle on the first knife is blackthorn with pins of the same wood. I used home made black fibre liners and the whole package was held together with epoxy.

The second knife was made from a piece of Landrover leaf spring. It's very good steel but takes a lot of preparation, cutting, annealing, straightening, then grinding clean, and thats before you can cut the profile to shape.
I put a deep Scandi grind on this one and made the handle from a piece of scavenged oak that had some nice grain patterns on it.The pins are 3mm brass rod.

All my heat treating has been done in a home made forge which consists of a large coffee tin lined with fire clay. This is charcoal fuelled with a hole in the side to blow air through and light it up with a gas torch.

CIMG1586.jpg

Here's another recycled steel knife. This one was an old file, blackthorn handle and pins. The sheath was from a piece of thin leather which my son got off ebay.Needs to be thicker really.

DSCF3684.jpg

DSCF3683.jpg

DSCF3677.jpg

This is one of my favourite knives to date. 3mm 01 carbon steel copper, fibre, and Ceanothus (Californian lilac) handle. I love the colour of that wood, the handle is a very comfortable shape.

DSCF3594.jpg

Here's the first stick tang I made. Landy leaf spring, ebony and maple with an ebony pin.

DSCF3833.jpg

Old file blackthorn and brass. Full flat grind with a small secondary bevel.

DSCF3970.jpg

DSCF3974.jpg

DSCF3975.jpg

"Substantial" file and yes you've guessed it, blackthorn handle with brass pins.
I just love the graining on this wood. Full flat grind. Its got a hamon of sorts although its poorly defined because the clay desintergrated a bit during the quench.

DSCF3956.jpg

This one was rescued from a blade that cracked during the quench which is why the profile is so narrow. burr elm on old file. Copper pins.

This is what has occupied most of my free time over the last year, when I'm not out and about. Hope you like at least one of them. Comments welcome.

Best regards.

David:)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Superb looking knives, David. I’ve long had a curiosity about the chisel grind for a woodworking knife. How do you find that it performs compared to a more conventional double bevel?

Best regards,
Paul.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice work there David, I think I`m going to have to have a go myself soon.

Particularly like the second to last one with the index finger groove, looks really useful that one.

Rich

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I know I keep saying it but damn there are some really talented folks on this forum!

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I didn't realise that I had any replies because for some reason the thread shows as having had no views! Which is what happened with the first thread I posted, must be something wrong with my set up.

The chisel grind cuts pretty well gives pretty good control for carving, especially green wood and it will pop hairs of your arm when its well honed. A good scandy grind is probably better though.

I love making knives, the learning process has been great fun over the last year, there's a long way to go before I'll consider myself any good at it though, it beats watching the box.

B

bondy

great knives mate ,any chance of a picture of your forge .thanks
warren

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
Hi guys,
I do most of my bevel grinding on a little 1" belt sander (Rexxon) and some with good quality filesbut I've got to the stage where I want something a bit more professional so I hope to either build or acquire a 2" by 72" 2 hp belt grinder which will make the whole grinding process less laborious.

I'll try and post some pics of the forge later if I can dig them out on my pc. I think I've got a short video clip somewhere on photobucket. it's all very basic really. Thats another thing that I want to build a better version of.

David

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
You think thats basic!.. So far all my bevel-edge work was done with a hand grinder and then sanded down by hand, lol. Yeah I've only done one knife so far, spent nothing what so ever on it and enjoyed the whole process. I had near enough no tools before starting, was given a hand-grinder, hammer & wet & dry paper, built my own little forge out of materials I had around.

I was surprised what I could achieve with so little tools, but what you have done is beautiful; I would love to produce a knife as good as yours ;) You can find my first knife here there's photos towards the bottom of the page. Since those photos I've sanded grooves to fit my grip, improves the appearance too. I really need to try a second! :)

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
Hi Warren, here's a short video clip of the forge in action, it's not very good quality but you can see the Bosch hot air gun being used as a blower. Its very simple; a catering coffee can lined with fire clay with a hole in the side for the blower. It's cradled in a large engineer's vice on my bench. A double handful of charcoal and I light it with a gas blowtorch. 5 minutes later and I've got hot steel.:)

I like your little open forge Nightwalker, the blower system is neat, not so keen on the protective footwear though;)

B

bondy

thanks for that david got to make one myself, and that looks just the job .cheers warren.

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
Hi Warren,
The main problem with the forge is its size, It has worked well up to now because everthing I've made to date has been under 8.5" overall with a blade between 3-4". As long as the blade reaches critical heat its ok , it doesn't really matter about the tang. The forge only has an internal length of about 7" so if I do want to work with bigger projects I will need a bigger forge. I have an old gas cylinder in mind for the next project.

David

B

bondy

cheers david iv got a gas bottle to use myself, ill post pics on bb, it wont let me put pics on here .thanks warren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE