A day out practicing winterskills....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Especially the firemaking one!

Hahh...
Got out again yesterday in order to practice some winterskills and to just enjoy the glorious Scandinavian winter!! When I left, the thermometer showed a -21C, so a bit nippy. A good opportunity to see how my Swedish wool uniform would perform.
Apart from that I wore an old model Dutch army longsleeved shirt and woolen pullover. No longjohns. I did have my M43-cal with me and my Swiss army woolmittens and gaiters. I added an old model Dutch army cotton/wool tubular collar.
I chose to give the older Dutch army leather boots another go, allthough I know they are not really good winterboots, but it's all I have at the moment. Apart from the standard insole I added another winter one and wore 2 pairs of thicker semi-woolen socks.
With me I carried a foldable set of coloured goggles, emergency blanket, fixed blade knife and wood handle pocket knife, camera, cellphone, firetin, German army thin gloves (cotton with leather innerhands) + knitted gloves.
As for the gear, I took my Swedish M39 backpack to give it a second chance and in it were a German OG poncho and bungees for a (emergency) windscreen, Swedish messtinset, stackable aluminiumtins with food, tinderbox, axe and foldable (pruning)saw, large tarp and a spare set of clothing (milsurp UG Dutch combat pants & jacket + a set uf long underwear and extra socks), firstaidkit. I completed the ensemble with an WW2 model British canteen and my breadbag.
As a bonus I strapped my old woolen army longcoat to the pack. I figured a wearable woolen blanket might come in handy..

DSC06431.jpg

The sun is rising and lights up the ground between the trees;
DSC06432.jpg

DSC06433.jpg

DSC06438.jpg

After half an hour I opened up the first 2 buttons of the jacket and switched from mittens to gloves. I just took the German ones. That was enough for the moment. Appearantly I lost my knitted gloves at this stage..... damn...
I had to lower my speed of movement as I started to sweat. This did give me the opportunity to stop more often and to look around me. I was amazed at the amount of wildlifetracks I saw; fox, deer, hare and all kinds of small rodents.... dozens of them...

A frozen stream. I still could hear running water well below the ice
DSC06441.jpg

The cold creeping up;
DSC06442.jpg

DSC06446.jpg

For the gearfans;
DSC06447.jpg

DSC06462.jpg

A mayor drawback of the Swedish is that it is no fun to handle without gloves in these temperatures. Gets quite uncomfortable fast. Fiddling about with mittens is not the most effecient way and takes some getting used to.
After a bit more than an hour I ended up on the spot I wanted to check out. As soon as I stopped walking the low temperatures and lack of sun made themselves noted! Buttoning up the jacket and switched back to mittens again!
First I scouted the terrain and I found a nice size dead standing spruce. I took it down and cut it up into sizeable pieces. These were than split. I did all this in a slow pace, but still my hands and lower arms got tired of working with gloves. I found the hatchet to be too short. I will need a longer handled one. In the final stage I split the wood with my leather handled knife and that performed great! The broad back split the wood quite effeciently and the flat part gave a good aiming point for battoning. I usually don't do that, but fiddling with mittens and a twig to hold the piece of wood up and than swinging a hatchet....proved to be not the most pleasant mix...
DSC06448.jpg

My "new" tinderbox. I found it outside an abandoned cabin I thought it was a real shame to just let it rot away there. It is a halfround box, made out of birchbark with a sliding backside. The rope will be replaced with natural cordage some time.
DSC06450.jpg

Inside the box are a number of dry and thinly split pieces of birch, some dry birchbark, some pieces of resinous pine wood, a spent shellcase as match box and a small satchet with pineresinblocks.
DSC06458.jpg

Yes! I did it! Fire in the winter!!
I did not need the matches, because it was quite easy with the firesteel. This one is a standard part of my breadbag by the way.

DSC06460.jpg

The water in the canteen started to freeze up already, but now comes the main advantage of the canteen. You just pull it out of its webbing carrier and set it next to the fire! All easily done, even with mittens!

DSC06463.jpg

An international military gearmeeting; A Dutch issue steel mug with homemade lid, an English steel canteen and A Swedish frying pan/lid;

DSC06466.jpg

Bacon in the pan, water in the mug for coffee...
The bacon, the eggs and the homemade bread were all frozen, just as the little jar of jam in one of the tins.

DSC06467.jpg

Defrosting the bread;
On top of the warming bacon & eggs. The resinous wood in the fire flavoured it even more...

DSC06469.jpg

Hmmmm....... coffee cowboystyle, lots of bacon with some eggs, my wife's homemade breadkamp, a thick layer of spruceboughs.... Can winterlife be any better??

DSC06470.jpg

After an hour or three I really had to be on the move again! Despite the layering I had really cold toes! The top of the boots is not high enough to allow free movement and circulation.....
I broke camp, spread all the coals and charred wood and burried them in the snow around. I scattered all remaining firewood and boughs around.

On my way home the weather changed a little. There was wind now and I could see moist air moving in. That had an immediate negative effect on the way the cold felt in the face and on the ears!

DSC06477.jpg

But with this around you.......

DSC06478.jpg

DSC06482.jpg

DSC06489.jpg

DSC06491.jpg

DSC06496.jpg

DSC06497.jpg

The way back was different in more ways.
Now the jacket stayed buttoned up and the gloves were kept on my hands. The ears and face were kept covered, too.De terugweg was anders dan de heenweg.
I did come across a set of tracks that weren't there on the way in. Moosetracks and they were smaller than the ones I came across the last time. Mss Moose, perhaps?
The way home was mostly downhill and the army boots offered little hold. In loose snow it was ok, but as soon as the underlaying surface was hard or icy it got very treacherous. Allmost home the enevitable happenend. I slipper and went down hard. I landed on my left wrist and the blow got extended into my shoulder. These are still stiff and sore now, but I was lucky. I'd hate to think of what would happen if you did break these, out there under these conditions. You'd have a serious problem!

In hindsight I will definitively go for a pulk as soon as I can. A backpack turns even a small slip-up into a crashdive! It just pulls you down and the landing is at least twice as hard as with out it.
I also figured out the practical purpose of so-called Nordic walking. Apart from the exercise you get much more stability on slippery surfaces! The snow had the consistency of loose sand and had the sound of walking on styropor. It was very dry and would not even stick to wool. What would be the best solution for these conditions; snowshoes or skis?
As far as my gear goes; the backpack is comfortable to wear and use. Just took some getting used to the frame. The boots are out... Just too dangerous in cold and icy conditions.
The uniform performed brilliantly! I never felt the need to use my longcoat. I was comfortably warm all the time. Same goes for the mittens. The M43-cap does well, too, but it is quite thin and as soon as there is wind involved in the temps. an extra layer really is needed. Knife did good,too. Now all I need to do, is finally learn how to sharpen it properly!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You really should get -- or make -- a pair of leather outer mittens. The old M59 leather mittens are cheap and great. I could copy the pattern in the Connovers book if you need one.

As to boots: if you can find the old army felt boots you are reasonably well set for winter (if you have enought socks in them): http://www.bbfab.se/skor/p2.htm (found the link buy google, no idea of the place). Still a low boot (I prefer a higher, softer boot, but...), but sized for 2 pairs of real wool socks (i.e. not thin, and at least 70% wool) and you are set.

But good outing, lovely pictures, and good writing!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thankyou so very much for sharing that. Inspirational and makes me jealous that you have such amazing surroundings to play out in. I also like the usage of traditional gear.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i enjoyed reading this,i like the fact you seem to be doing it old style.

i take a flask with me with a hot drink just in case i am to tired to brew up.
after the flask is empty i pour my drinking water in to heat it up with the residual heat.

also you might try putting warmer water in smaller pilots plastic flasks [USA pilot issue]
inside your jacket before the water gets cold.

my jacket has a pocket for one heres a video of one

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56145

if my water gets to cold i roll it in my mouth to warm it up,you need to drink a lot of water to keep warm.

another thing i learnt in soltau and bosnia in minus 20 or more. the cold seeps up from the ground so stand on branches or something if you can and a blanket under a sleeping bag is worth 2 over the bag.

today i bought a size larger boots as i have been suffering cold feet and wanted to try 2 pairs of socks with space for the warm air

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
A good day out, nice photos & well told...................are they swedish army boots you use ?.....I have German paras & they like yours,are fine walking in fresh snow but slip on underlying ice & compacted snow, haven't actually fallen down yet but it's come close a few times :)

Thanks for sharing.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
What a great day out. I always look forward to your posts RonW.

Perhaps a couple of months Judo training will help with the falling?

Many thanks.

Liam

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
another tip i have is a spare pair of thick socks can double as a pair of mitts if you loose your gloves.

and what was drilled into us all the time,as soon as remove something from your pocket or rucksack close it immedietly.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
A good day out, nice photos & well told...................are they swedish army boots you use ?.....I have German paras & they like yours,are fine walking in fresh snow but slip on underlying ice & compacted snow, haven't actually fallen down yet but it's come close a few times :)

Thanks for sharing.

i have yet to find a pair of military boots that wernt slippy in ice or compact snow.

our 80s DMS boots where leathal especialy when rock climbing.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm happy to share my experiences with you!
@ Forrestwalker; thanks for the link! I'll be checking it very soon. I actually have a pair of lined leather mittens, but I'm happy with the Swiss ones, too.
@ Udamiano; I'll do my best!
@ Johnnythefox; thanks for the tips!
@ blacktimberwolf; No, not Swedish. Dutch.
@ Miyagi; I actually did follow judo and other martial arts decades ago, but with a backpack on there's not much you can do, I'm afraid

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I enjoyed reading that Ron, and some good pictures there. Makes me regret not getting out and about this weekend with the snow here.

also you might try putting warmer water in smaller pilots plastic flasks [USA pilot issue]
inside your jacket before the water gets cold.
my jacket has a pocket for one heres a video of one

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56145

And thanks for that link johnny, I think I may purchase a few of those Pilot Flasks. I found boxes of 36 on ebay so gonna put a thread up in group buys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE