A couple of natural catapults I made

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bloodhound

Nov 17, 2015
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Just wanted to show you a couple of catapults I've made over the last weekend when the weather has been terrible and I've not been able to get out. Not that great at identifying trees yet but I think the first one is sycamore and the other (completed catapult) is hawthorn. The council have been tidying up near me so I've been able to make these without cutting any actual trees; these were made from recently felled branches.

I tried out a couple of different finishes and like the one in the first image much more - using Danish oil and Beeswax. The second just uses polyurethane.

the handle on the second is just made from jute twine and the lanyard is 2ply cordage made from the twine.

Hope you like them!

Catty1_zpstz883ke1.jpg

Catty2_zps6bsjlekz.jpg

Bloodhound

Nov 17, 2015
Newcastle Upon Tyne
They look great. What wood is it?

Thanks!

The first, I think, is sycamore but couldn't 100% sure as the blank was taken from branches with no leaves. This wood was easy to work with. I'm making another couple with ash at the minute and it seems to be really hard by comparison.

The second, I think, was hawthorn. Lots of, tough, sharp thorns on the branches.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
They look good buddy, and are great fun to make.all really need is a band set in your possibles pouch or your pocket and you can have a very efficient hunting tool.I made one the other day from a hazel fork and used polyurethane for a finish.Looking forward to seeing others that you make.
f8c8c7753bd766c5f15a223345568603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloodhound

Nov 17, 2015
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks lads! Really enjoyed making these, got a few more forks when I went out for a walk today so I'll post the new ones when I get round to making them.

Initial cuts with the Bahco, rough carved with the Mora, shaped with the Dremel (cheating I know) and finally sanded and polished by hand. Terrific way for me to get to grips with a lot of recent purchases, and nothing intricate to really make a mess of. Might try carving a design into future forks if Santa is kind and gets me a proper carving set.

Thinking of trying a bit of leatherwork next to make a simple drawstring pouch for ammo.

If any one else has made a catapult, natural or otherwise I'd love to see and hear a bit about how you made it. Post your pics!

Ocean1975- that's a great catty, that bit of hazel has come up lovely, I'll have to look out for some of the same wood.. really great shape to yours, nice and smooth and good finish from the poly.

Dean - that very book is on my Christmas list so hopefully I'll be a bit more timber savvy in the new year!

Cheers

Aaron

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE