A couple of hours out in the green stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
After a few weeks of not doing much apart from work/eat/sleep, the 'cabin fever' had really set in. The rest of the family couldn't be bothered doing anything apart from my reliable 'mini-me' (my youngest son).

So, to salvage what was left of our sanity, the two of us plus our two hounds took off for a wander off to a local glen about 15 minutes walk from home. Fortunately 'mini-me' volunteered to carry the rucksack (without any prompting) leaving me with just a camelbak to carry.

The stream running through the glen was a bit higher than usual...

After walking up one side of the glen and looking for somewhere to hang our hammocks, we drew a blank. Despite loads of trees, they were all either too far apart or positioned far too close to a long drop into the gully.

We ended up having to ford the stream at a nice section that was only a few inches deep and slow enough not to take us off our feet.

Eventually we found a suitable spot so hammocks were up...

Next it was time for a brew. We had our firebox stove with us but all the wood was saturated (plus I was in desperate need of a brew and couldn't be bothered splitting wood to get it to light) so went for the option of using our monkeyboy stove with some meths.

A piping hot coffee later, and after a natter with some of the folks walking past with their dogs asking if we were camping (nope, we're just being comfy while we have a brew), it was time for home.

Not the most adventurous of outings but just what was needed to blow away the cobwebs and set us up for the week ahead.

Hoping to get a bit more 'proper walks' done in the coming weeks but sometimes forget how refreshing a few hours out can be.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Nice pics fella. Thanks for sharing. Think the dogs wondering where its hammock is:)

Cheers mate..she was thinking about clambering in...although her last attempt was a bit of an event and less than successful.

She likes the idea of hammocks in principle but in practice gets a bit freaked and panics. I'm sure she'll get used to it eventually...she loves nuzzling up and often clambers into my sleeping bag nose-first when we're 'ground camping'...so fairly sure she'll evolve into a 'hammock hound' at some point

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That looks really good, I don't have too many trees near by so I have to content myself with taking my hammock to the local kids play park, let them play while I watch from the hammock - although more often than not they'll kick me out of it and play in it themselves, I should get one for each then they might leave mine alone.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for the comments guys.

We're really lucky to have a few good places to wander locally. The place in the photos is literally 10-15 minutes walk from my front door and a great place for doing 'bushy stuff' with the kids or talking the hounds out to tire them out a bit. If anything, we're probably spoiled for choice as there's loads of places nearby that are ideal for use for days out in the woods as well as a couple of areas within 30 mins walk where we can camp, hammock, fish for free.

It's refreshing to be able to get the kids away from tv/netflix/video games/facebook for a while and see them really enjoy it without getting twitchy when they don't have wifi available. Hoping to get out hammocking in a couple of weeks now that we're equipped with UQ's and a nice new big tarp...I'm probably just as excited as the kids are...but then I've avoided growing up as much as possible!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE