A couple for critique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hiya

A couple of wee birdee's caught today messing around with the new monster.

I know what i think is wrong with them but i am open to other comments.

My thoughts.

Not enough depth of field (working at 300mm f5.6) needs to have more depth although today the conditions just weren't great for light (200th/sec f5.6 @1600ISO!!!)

Blutit1.jpg

Blutit2.jpg

:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Too tightly cropped for my taste - if you had the eye at the junction of lines cutting the picture into thirds it would be more "classicallt" perfect...if you see what I mean.
For my eye the depth of field is perfect.
In the top one the bird is sticking its tonue out - how very rude!:)
Great pickies mate!

Just in case you didn't quite grasp what John said about thirds...
...draw a Noughts and Crosses board over the picture, pictures are generally more pleasing if major elements of them are either along those lines or at the intersections.

Imagine those lines in the viewfinder of your camera and you'll be able to make a more pleasing composition from the start.
In fact, a lot of digital cameras will display the lines for you.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
The composition and cropping was set by the fact that any further to the left there is a horrible black line of a branch which i thought looked distracting. Any further to the right and you see the fat ball it was feeding off!!!

:)

These are the original (and unadjusted) ones

DSC_0599.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

Just a thought, could you stick small bits of that fat ball onto a branch? That may be enough bait to get them in for the shot, but without the fatball net getting in the way.

I know you probably have the fatballs out to feed rather than as bait - but it might be something to try.

I've got 4 fatballs hanging from the washing line and a spotting scope trained on it to get a closer look when something comes in to feed. The first was a green finch, there have been a few great tits and some others too.

I might have to have a crack at photographing some of them soon.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yes today was just messing around to be honest.
There were 3 fatballs in the bush where i was photographing them (about 6 feet away out of the kitchen window). They spent most of the time on the one i couldn't get a shot of:rolleyes:

Next time i'll probably remove all but one of them and as you suggested maybe 'coat' or wrap a branch with some of the fatbal instead of the net bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE