A bit of woodcraft...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ice Tigre

Nov 30, 2005
Alaska, USA
G'day all,

I hope I have this in the right place. I don't post on this forum near as often as I should, especially considering the time I spend reading and learning here.

HPIM2400.jpg

Spent about an hour yesterday afternoon with the pocket chain saw, a knife I've been testing (destruction test of one of mine), and my vic spirit making a buck saw frame for the chain saw.

Used the hatchet a bit too, but could have done all of its cuts just as easily with the knife; was practicing carving with a "choked up" grip just under the hatchet head. I need to look into a bearded hatchet....

As a side note; That hatchet is a $5 no namer hardware store special. Sorted through 10 or 12 to get good handle grain/head orientation. edge was 1/8" thick, but 10 min with the sander fixed it, revealing good hard steel(large sparkly spark while grinding was a sure sign of high carbon) and it took a razor shaving sharp edge.

So far its been through seasoned spruce, birch and alder with no chipping. And, a fair bit of wet birch and willow with out dulling.

I was quite prepared for a wasted $5, and am pleasantly surprised with the outcome. :headbang: Wish I could find an adze that cheap.

The awl on the vic is nice for drilling holes, although its edge could be sharper for the twisting/carving motion I was using. Opened the holes up and through by carving with the test knife blade tip.

Baton split to start the slots for the blade, and wedged them open to press the chain in, so the ends are pinched in place for hold, on top of being under frame tension.

Will have to add some short straight rod to the tin with the saw for the ends of the blade when doing this. The provided rings work OK, but more cross support for the tension could be nice.

I have no reservations that I could do this in the field for camping/survival use if needed, as all the used tools are my standard woods carry.

1188782239-PCS.jpg

HPIM2401.jpg

HPIM2395.jpg

HPIM2396.jpg

HPIM2398.jpg

HPIM2399.jpg

Also peeled some birch bark from a couple trees that have started to shed for the year, and found a damage spot on a spruce for collecting some pitch that I need.

HPIM2387.jpg

Did a bit of looking for horse hoof fungus on some birches, but no luck. :( I'm running low on tinder fungus for the fire piston...

All in all a nice afternoon, and yes, the buck-saw does work. ;)

If all goes well, will have more pics of some things with the birch bark etc. this afternoon.

G.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like a lovely afternoon spent :)

I would love to try one of those saws....will try and give one a go soon :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I've got one of those saws. Never thought to make a buck saw with one. Lovely idea. I will try that.

Ice Tigre

Nov 30, 2005
Alaska, USA
:) Thanks fellows.

These chain saws really are nifty, especially for the reason I got it, going through seasoned wood with a hatchet is hard work!

The main reason for wanting to make the buck saw was needing a way to use that saw for dropping large trees; With the normal method of using the chain saw you have to stand on the side of the tree where it would fall on you. ;)

Problem now is that a buck saw is designed for cutting downward, its rather hart to start sideways.

I had also entered the saw competition earlier this year, but then forgot about it and didn't do one.... Needed to get the idea out of my system.

Gary

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice job fella I have some nice Oak somewhere in the shed to make one myself, need to find the time to construct one.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE