A beautiful Moth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
This is a peppered moth that we caught in our garden with a home made moth trap................Jon
pepperedmoth8nm.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
FeralSheryl said:
Wow, how beautiful. That reminds me, I keep meaning to get a moth trap. Any suggestions for a good one and where to get one?

Make your own............Its easy,here are instructions http://www.atropos.info/gardenmoths.html
Its great fun using a trap and amazing what you catch, best using a mercury vapour (mv) bulb though. I will put up some more photo's in future, though smaller. This was an experiment.............Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
wolf said:
peppered moths are good signs of pollution,the lighter the moth the clearer the air. ;)

This is true......These species are studied more than any other, but how come all three types of peppered moth are found at the same time at my local nature reserve, where they do regular trapping..............Jon

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
They are within the same species but different Phenotypes. It's very much like hair, eye or skin colour in people.

It is interesting that the colour prevalence is an indicator of pollution: Darker moths are better camouflaged against a sooty background when the white ones stand out like a sore thumb so black will be more likely to survive in polluted areas.

Some suggest that there are the perfect conditions to allow a divide to occur that may produce a different species. See the Founder Effect

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
We caught a few elephant hawk moths, mostly the smaller ones. We also caught one of these, anyone want to take a guess...........Jon
popularhawkmoth23qn.jpg

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Jon Pickett said:
Make your own............Its easy,here are instructions http://www.atropos.info/gardenmoths.html
Its great fun using a trap and amazing what you catch, best using a mercury vapour (mv) bulb though. I will put up some more photo's in future, though smaller. This was an experiment.............Jon
Thanks Jon, I'll give it a go. They're wonderful little creatures, I love them. :)

One night last August we accidently left the bathroom light on late into evening and the window open. Just before bedtime I opened the door to find the room teeming with Moths in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Nothing exotic but still a treat to see them all. Didn't manage to get any good close up pics in the artificial light unfortunately.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Jon Pickett said:
We also caught one of these, anyone want to take a guess...........Jon
popularhawkmoth23qn.jpg

Jon,
In my Collins insect guide, the poplar hawkmoth resembles it the most. The image in the book shows a greyish moth but colors seem to vary from "ash grey to pinkish brown". It is also the only hawkmoth I can find in which the "Hind wing projects in front of the fore wing at rest" as can be seen in your picture.

Tom

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yes, well done, it is a poplar hawk moth. As Fenlander told me, if you right click on a photo and click on properties, it will tell you the name of the photo, I did not realise this
Feral Sheryl.........Go for it and make one, you will definetely not regret it. The box parts and perpex, you can get at your local hardware store and the electrics, I got from my local lighting shop, though they had to order most of it in. (Was told that you can buy it all cheaper online) It all cost about £40, the bulb and choke for the bulb was the most money. If I can help in any way send me a pm......Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE