A ban on online knife sales...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
..........my mate the other day got asked for id for a safety razor
Please go back to the store and advise the manager that saftey razors (blade permentantly encased in it's holder with less than 2mm of blade protruding) are exempt from age restriction. ;)

Prisoners in maximum security facilities manage to arm themselves with knives. How does a government expect to stop this among a populace with unlimited time and resources with which to solve the problem? Mac

They don't intend to stop any such thing.
They intend to be seen to 'do something', always the way with Governments I'm afraid.

And here we have the entire situation in a nutshell.
(63 page political rant deleted to comply with forum rules!)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
you forgot, natures own ballistic missiles, rocks.

lets ban rocks.

and their brothers in arms, bricks.

All items that are age controlled (knives, alcohol, aerosols, some medicines, etc) are coded to flag to the till operator that ID needs to be provided. If you don't provide ID, you don't get the sale - I've seen it happen in Tescos. It is an automated process that removes human error - so Tesco won't get fined/sued. It's their perogative; if we don't like, we shop elsewhere but any major supermarket will now use the same type of system.

There's little point in lecturing the till operator: they have no power to change anything (write to the board or customer relations (used to be 'customer complaints', didn't it?)), they can't help it (automated system), and, frankly, they don't care (what do you reckon the till girl said to her mates in the staff room about the plonker who tried to lecture her on knife use?).

Are we at 42 pages yet? :D

they have that at poundland. it doesn't work, the cashier just crossed the warning off.
as I was 16 at the time, buying lighters was technicaly illegal (although I don't think blacks even have the warning, and I was 15 when they sold me one)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The till-prompts for age restricted sales doesn't remove any liability, it is strictly a nudge to remind people to ask for ID. I work in a newsagents, and if I sell cigarettes or fireworks (when it's that time of year) to someone underage and get caught, I am held personally responsible but the shop gets a fine too, IIRC. I really do hate IDing people, especially since I always think people are younger than they are; it's a bit embarassing asking someone for ID for cigarettes and finding that they're 29, when I'm only 20 myself...

Is there any way at all to distinguish from a Credit card, debit card or prepay card? Seems to me that the most reliable way of checking age was to do a credit card check. Yes, someone could use someone elses card but I don't see how the seller could be held responsible for that. If you can't distinguish though, then that obviously wouldn't work...

IMO, the blame is at the feet of the government; there isn't a reliable small-scale method of proving age over the internet that I am aware of. I mean, passports and drivers licenses are all well and good in person but I daresay it would be much easier to fake a scan of a passport than fake a passport. Therefore, they should form a nice big circle and give each other a kick in the posterior for complaining about people not upholding a law that has, as of yet, no realistic and foolproof means of being upheld. Introduce a decent way of verifying age that doesn't involve meeting face to face or giving the government your DNA and fingerprints, and if people don't use it, then complain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE