750,000 deer to be culled - thanks bunny huggers!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Marvelous,they tell us on the news dont eat processed meat,so that leaves fresh meat which for some is expensive then 750,000 lots of fresh meat gets the chop and gets binned, i despair of what this country has become.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There is a matter of safety that has to be addressed. You can't have 20 shooters all turning up at varying times on a single permission. That would be mental!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Brilliant - way to go guys - a deer management system that has worked since Norman times destroyed in a decade by busybodies who know less than nothing about managing wildlife.

Idiots

[/rant]

Fully agree, someone seen a way to take a perfectly good working system and turn it in to a money making scheme,

The control of food is the control of people. Follow the money.

Agreed

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Marvelous,they tell us on the news dont eat processed meat,so that leaves fresh meat which for some is expensive then 750,000 lots of fresh meat gets the chop and gets binned, i despair of what this country has become.

EXACTLY!

We are in an economic recession.

There is a surplus of meat

There is a shortage of meat at the same time.

If that isn't "case proven" that over regulation is an abject failure - I don't know what is!

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
There is a matter of safety that has to be addressed. You can't have 20 shooters all turning up at varying times on a single permission. That would be mental!

That is not the intention at all.

More along the lines of insisting that Mr 35 000 acres stalker shares some of his ground with other local stalkers who have no permissions thus the land is more effectively managed.

If land owners/stalkers with adjoining land masses collaborate in terms of communicating population census results and cull targets it will result in better managed populations.

It may be that those landowners that refuse stalking upon their land with known populations of deer may be forced to allow that population to be controlled.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england

bang on the button :)

the lunatics have taken over the assylum :)

I,m going out to see if i can trip over all these deer that have got out of `control` and stab them with a dead fish i found on the beach !!!!!!!!!! oh and i have recorded the charity ads on the telly `to help all the starving` in far off lands - wonder if they will accept dead deer and fish instead of cash ?? :)

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Oh yes, townies dream up all these schemes without any input from countryside interests as outlined above.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Problem is Stuey that almost all farms ARE food businesses

In the flow chart of the regs that qualifies as

1 - No

2 - No

3 - Yes

So they get hit by regs

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Putting big groups of people into stereotyped silos like "townies" causes more issues than it solves.

i,m a townie ,but i don,t see the place i live in overrun with wildlife , av got more chance of contracting TB from an east european immagrant than a native badger !!!

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Problem is Stuey that almost all farms ARE food businesses

In the flow chart of the regs that qualifies as

1 - No

2 - No

3 - Yes

So they get hit by regs

The easy solution to that is for the farmer to supply in-fur to private individuals or local retailers or allow a stalker onto their land.

They could also fall under the primary producer exemption.

A small, assisted build, larder meeting all of the 2006 regs can be bought for around £3000 which is still a lot of money and would take a good couple of years stalking and selling to pay back.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Putting big groups of people into stereotyped silos like "townies" causes more issues than it solves.

Rather like creating one size fits all legislation so that small farms have to follow the same regulations as massive Scots stalking estates?

If a farmer needs to cull a few deer each year from his pheasant shoot, should he go to jail for giving the venison to friends who understand where it comes from? Because thats what happened to the farm I lived on. This is the problem with legislation passed by people who know da*n all about country living.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Rather like creating one size fits all legislation so that small farms have to follow the same regulations as massive Scots stalking estates?

If a farmer needs to cull a few deer each year from his pheasant shoot, should he go to jail for giving the venison to friends who understand where it comes from? Because thats what happened to the farm I lived on. This is the problem with legislation passed by people who know da*n all about country living.

Was it given in-fur or butchered?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The easy solution to that is for the farmer to supply in-fur to private individuals or local retailers or allow a stalker onto their land.

They could also fall under the primary producer exemption.

A small, assisted build, larder meeting all of the 2006 regs can be bought for around £3000 which is still a lot of money and would take a good couple of years stalking and selling to pay back.

All this is true - but its a major pain for them. I have never lived on one these massive "estates" that Mary thinks are prevalent doen here. But there are plenty of places with a famlily pheasant shoot or take more than one or two deer a year. Theya ren't in the business of deer management - any more than they are of rabbit management or fox management. They just live on a mixed farm and years back would shoot a few deer to control them, sell a couple, keep a couple, give a couple away. Now they fear all these new regs and daren't do so without having a lawyer go over it all - which is simply not worth it on small farms. Sad - but true.

We just need less regulation and to let farmers maange their farms. If they need to sell the venison as "farm harvested - not e-coli tested" well so be it. We are grown ups - I bet most people here would be happy to take a butchered deer carcas under those rules for less than the price of beef!

I do agree on the hunting rights thing BTW - if they maange the population, fine, if they don't shoot it, they should lose it.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
If a farmer needs to cull a few deer each year from his pheasant shoot, should he go to jail for giving the venison to friends who understand where it comes from?

Well in this instance he's not supplying to an AGHE so would be exempt under the regs?

Im generally in agreement with you Red but given recent food events i fear it is only going to get worse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE