5C's: What pocket container for EDC?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
Does anyone have any useful suggestions for an EDC container?
I carry a key ring kit that has a tiny knife, some cordage, mini Firesteel, as well as one or two other useful items.
I almost always also have a larger, but still UK legal, knife (with big Firesteel and a good length of cord tied around the sheath ) on my belt.
I have a small pouch that will take a foil blanket, plus a few extra things. I would like to include some sort of container but can't find anything small but useful.

I'm wondering if anyone uses any sort of bag as an emergency water carrier that could also be used to boil the water in. I know this is a bit of a strange notion, but could a bag be used to boil water? I'm thinking along the lines of the old "boy's own" idea that a paper container could be used to boil water over a candle, as the temperature of the water would stop the paper from burning.

Thanks in anticipation for the useful suggestions, and if you're going to take the urine, go for it, but make it funny!!!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If you use a tobacco tin you can boil small amounts of water in that if it came to it. Although you're probably never more than 100ft away from a discarded drinks can.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
in an 'emergency' i'd rather rely on chemical sterilization so I carry something like this

http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/746

it carries far more than any container i've found EDC in size and packs down to the size of a small stack of credit cards

Although most recently I picked up a couple of pilots flasks and surplus ally cups
peteb made me the lids

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showt...1-pint-pilot-flask-cup?highlight=pilots+flask

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/131043-Pilot-s-Flask-Cup-Lid-GAW

failing that theres always either baccy tins as mm suggests or something a little larger like the bcb mini mess tin

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/outdoor-kitchen/mini-mess-tin-survival-tin.htm

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
That cup is pretty good for the pilots flask; I've never seen one - thanks for posting that. I've got a couple which I rarely use. I've had one before in my Ribz pack but it's not a regular thing. I've also got those folding water containers which I do use on occasion when filtering water which are good for the OP's query. For use in boiling with, I doubt they'll work other than for pasteurising water.
For the price I'd recommend definitely buying one and trying it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can boil water in a poly bottle or even a strong poly bag - same principle as boiling in a paper bag - do not let the flame reach the plastic above the waterline!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You can boil water in a poly bottle or even a strong poly bag - same principle as boiling in a paper bag - do not let the flame reach the plastic above the waterline!

With the caveat about BPAs and other nasties leaching from hot plastic. But in a survival situation you may not care...

Last edited:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I have on several occasions seen on here the idea of using the above for using in connection with drinking vessels. When I was intending to make a Penny Meths stove
I picked up a couple of used drinks cans that had been discarded as litter. I shook them
and rinsed them out to check that they were empty, and they seemed so. On cutting them open, I found to my disgust that one had two large black slugs sticking to the inside. This was ok for me as I was not going to be drinking from the cans, but I would not like to think that I might have been using a can after it had been inhabited by
slugs or snails, They could have been there and gone, without anyone knowing.
I know that they like Beer as this is one method of catching them to get rid of them,
just bury a jar of Beer in the ground, filled with Beer and they fall in and drown.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have on several occasions seen on here the idea of using the above for using in connection with drinking vessels. When I was intending to make a Penny Meths stove
I picked up a couple of used drinks cans that had been discarded as litter. I shook them
and rinsed them out to check that they were empty, and they seemed so. On cutting them open, I found to my disgust that one had two large black slugs sticking to the inside. This was ok for me as I was not going to be drinking from the cans, but I would not like to think that I might have been using a can after it had been inhabited by
slugs or snails, They could have been there and gone, without anyone knowing.
I know that they like Beer as this is one method of catching them to get rid of them,
just bury a jar of Beer in the ground, filled with Beer and they fall in and drown.

You're in a survival situation - I think rinsing some slug slime out of a container you're going to boil "dirty" water in is the least of your problems?

If you're not in a survival situation then take a brew kit.

rg598

Native
Since we are talking about EDC, I'm assuming you can't carry all that much, i.e. you can only take what you have on your belt and pockets, and have to keep those items discrete enough so that everyone on the street is not staring at you. In that case I would bring a 1L collapsible Platypus bottle and some chlorine dioxide tablets. You can get a lot of good water that way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE