5 Day Hike.... Advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
O

oilyrag

Recently did a 14 day walk across the Alps called the Haute Route. I had started with the kitchen sink as my kit before being packed was as so:
kitgm9.jpg

This weighed in at 35kg without food and water. On day four, I found a Post Office in Champex and sent just over 8kgs home via the postman. Made for a much happier chappy when the end was in sight (behind snow peaks on right was my final destination.)
00015of4.jpg

My rucksack was mortally wounded on this trip, I learned so much about what is useful kit and what is utter garbage, beyond what is in the popular books. The mere thought of having an axe shaped anchor in my sack was enough to induce 15 minutes of laughter on a daily basis.

Kit List: (Back To Front, Left to Right)
Tripod
RucksackInternal frame (it bust)
Liner
Tarp
Pegs
Sleeping bag
Hammock
Zoot suit
Poncho
Bivvy bag
Mallet
Kip Mat
Wash kit
First Aid
Bog Roll
Sun Protection
Bug Deterrent
Survival Bag
SAK
Knife
Caribeener x 2
Maps & Compass
Mapcase
Paracord
Duct tape
Mini Folding shovel
Swiss Mountain kettle
3 x Emergency cooker x 2
Swiss Army Stove
Fuel
Oil
Firekit
4 day food supply
12 day brewkit
3ltr Camelback
Cigars
Whiskey
Goretex shell
Fleece
3 x shorts 2 x
2 x trousers 1 x
4 x t-shirts 2 x
3 x socks
3 x kecks 1 x
gaitors
sandals
boots
hat
belt
bungee
trekking poles
Ice Axe
Camera
Mobile phone
3 x Books

Items in red were dumped in the mail.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
good post oilyrag.

what pack was it? what did you do when it broke? or was it just the frame that went?

it did look like you overpacked, 35kg is loads! even with sending back 8kg its quite a lot. i take it water was easily obtainable

you sent home your kip mat, wasn't it cold on your back?

how big were the books? guessing they were v useful at night!

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Heh Commandocal! Nice to see a local lad :D, the Yorkshire Wolds Way runs from the humber bridge north along the wolds, via market weighton and pocklington then veers east from fridaythorpe and finishes on Filey brigg. Have a look; http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/YorkshireWoldsWay/

Passing damn close to me then aswell! Might have to look into this once you've done it :)

Been planning on taking a long hike myself, just deciding which one to do. I've thought about Hadrians Wall and this thread has helped me decide just what is needed and what isn't. Cheers

Hope you have a good trip chap.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Copper_head

Just wondering what dates you have in mind for this, I might be able to join you for a couple of days if the dates are right ??

Rich

O

oilyrag

good post oilyrag.

what pack was it? what did you do when it broke? or was it just the frame that went?

it did look like you overpacked, 35kg is loads! even with sending back 8kg its quite a lot. i take it water was easily obtainable

you sent home your kip mat, wasn't it cold on your back?

how big were the books? guessing they were v useful at night!

It was a 10yr old Outwell 70 Summit. On the first night I awoke to find a mouse chomping through the tension strap of one of the shoulders. Then the moveable back padding which was attached to an aluminum stay, which it slid up and down, ripped clear off it whilst putting the sack on. One of the side pockets ripped and then the frame itself just 'popped' out of its housing and out the top of the sack. Can't moan too much as it's put in a decent 10yrs, not bat for £60.

I met some Kiwi's who had MacPac sacks which is probably the best sack I've ever seen and am choosing my model now. I need tough sacks, I broke my first issue PLCE in under 3 hours. QM was well happy!

I slept mainly on high alpine pasture and used moss and dried cow dung as a bedding, my sleeping bag is a Danish army issue and good to -30c. I had a goretex bivvy bag as well. I wore most of my clothing at might as well until i got too hot then removed one layer at a time. In the morning water bottles left out would be frozen solid.

Books i had were MK's Bushcraft, RM Essential and a guide of the area. All about the same size, i have a l.e.d headlamp that runs for 10k hrs on 2 AA bats good for night navigation.

The rule for water in the alps is if you are above grazing animals then the water is OK to drink without treatment. Every single hamlet/village in the country has a drinking fountain and some remote farm buildings have them also. There are about 3 days out of 12 where water can't be guaranteed.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
sounds like a good trip. your bag sounds like it had a hard lfie. I've got a Macpac Glissade. Its quite a heavy pack, around 3kg, but its very solidly built, like a high quality canvas cotton material and good quality straps. I highly recommend it, I like it because its going to take a lot of abuse when out, particularly getting caught by branches etc.

good idea with the moss and dung, i suppose its one of those things you don't want to risk though. if you sent it home having seen the terrain then its OK.

are you sure your light runs for 10k hours? must be the dimmest light ever! good choice in books, need to pick myself up a copy of MK's books

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi all,
to shewie: Im setting off a week on sunday. Planning to do about 15miles per day.
to oily rag: thanks very informative, just packed my bag, it weighs 26kg with food and water :eek: !
To Nat: Well I just got a new camera today so ill post a write up when I get back with some nice piccies :D
And thanks all for advice and kind words, hopefully this should be a great trip!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE