5.11 Shirts - variable quality

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just received a pair of 5.11 shirts from Niton ltd.

<http://www.niton999.co.uk/index_main.htm>

For those who don't know 5.11 are a US clothing manufacturer who make clothing for police, army and third world secret police squads. From a bushcraft perspective they are more famous for making the tough, green, multi-pocketed shirts sometimes worn by Mr. Mears, most of his instructors and several other notable adventurer types.

The shirts I have recieved should be identical, however where one is as tough and well made as I've come to expect, the other doesnt have the internal zippered pocket that the first has, the buttons are sewn on with about half the thread used in the first and so badly sewn that already the top button is ready to fall off.

The less well made shirt was also supplied without the little packet of spares and extras (such as buttons and a pair of epaulets).

I don't know if this is a one off dodgy batch for 5.11 sourced from an alternative factory or the first of a new and less well specified version to cut costs, but I'd urge any prospective purchasers to check their orders when they arrive and send back any inferior versions.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Having spoken to someone else who has had a similar issue I think the dead giveaway will be the zippered pocket under the right pocket flap, if it hasn't got a zipper, its probably one of the less well made ones.

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I have bought 2 recently. I got an olive one from Mr Mears site and a black one from Krav Maga North West who had a deal on black ones.

The black one has a zip on the right hand chest pocket and came with the "extras" and the olive one doesn't and didn't, respectively. There is no difference in quality that I can see.

No idea why?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Has anyone tried the new ripstop version of the 5.11 shirt and trousers? I saw this announced last year.

Details:
This year we are launching the “original” 5.11 Tactical shirt in a 4.6 oz, 100% ripstop nylon fabric. Enjoy all of the same features as the “original” but in a lighter weight, abrasion-resistant, anti-microbial, quick-dry
Dri-X-treme® wicking fabric that
provides SPF 30+ sun protection.
Imported. Both the “original”
cotton canvas and the new nylon
ripstop fabric styles have the same
features listed belows.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Moonraker said:
Has anyone tried the new ripstop version of the 5.11 shirt and trousers? I saw this announced last year.

Details:

I have the nylon canvas trousers and have just ordered another 2 pairs. They are definately quicker drying and very tough but may not suit everyone. I also have the all cotton ones and would say for wet conditions the nylon are better but for cold the cotton would have the edge.

Not tried the shirts though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE