4-Season, Wide Sleeping Mat Needed Quickly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Looks like I'll be ordering this online and because I plan to head off for the Lakes by the 21st of this month, at the latest (if I miss that window it'll be well into the new year before I can go again), I need to be ordering asap.

Can anyone recommend a wide (at least 2-feet), full length 4-season sleeping mat that will keep me warm in the Lakes at this time of year? Doesn't have to be self-inflatable (in fact I'd prefer it not to be to keep down on price and weight) and I'll be using it with the Mountain SB. MY budget is about £15.

Thanks in advance.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Looks like I'll be ordering this online and because I plan to head off for the Lakes by the 21st of this month, at the latest (if I miss that window it'll be well into the new year before I can go again), I need to be ordering asap.

Can anyone recommend a wide (at least 2-feet), full length 4-season sleeping mat that will keep me warm in the Lakes at this time of year? Doesn't have to be self-inflatable (in fact I'd prefer it not to be to keep down on price and weight) and I'll be using it with the Mountain SB. MY budget is about £15.

Thanks in advance.
I think your going to struggle a bit there to be honest, I've got a highlander thermalight self inflating but even there over 30 quid, exped ones are a fortune, I've got a cheap self inflating one, brand new you can have if you want to collect it, wrap it in a space blanket, will probably do for now.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks everyone.

Gray, thanks very much for the offer, but I'll keep looking for the time being.

The BA ones at ebay look perfect, but I don't have a store nearby. Might contact them and ask if they can guarantee deliver before the 21st.

I have a SportsDirect store five minutes from my front door and have been looking at these (only 5cm wider than the norm, but it would do at a pinch). If someone would care to cast their expert eyes over it and give me their opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-expedition-foam-mat-782137

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
they are a bit smaller than the Brit army one, and if you can go for the Arctic mat white one side and green the other. It is better than the all green and tighter foam but light weight. I use mine and have no probs with it.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The karrimor is 10mm thick. The NATO model is 25 mm thick. Insulation is directly proportional to thickness in any CCF mat. I'm not sure I would trust a 10 mm pad down to -10 as claimed in the ad. i have used 10mm pad down to about 5 deg C. That was OK, but to go much lower i would double up the pads, or get a thicker pad.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I know the NATO ones are the way to go, but I'm just concerned about it arriving in time, and am also slightly put off by the 'used' aspect. Who knows what kind of battering they've had?

Sorry, I was getting my links mixed up there. The NATO ones are, of course brand new from amazon.

Oh, I'm confused. PDA, where are you getting the 25mm thick from? This is what it says in the product details:

Open: 180 x 50 x 1cm, Rolled size: 50 x 15cm
300g

1cm = 10mm, doesn't it?

Last edited:

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks. I might take a trip up there in that case. I thought you were referring to the onle you'd linked to at amazon.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
The NATO mat is from Highlander. They are available inManchester at:
[h=3]Newcross Army Surplus
Manchester
0161 832 9683[/h]

Highlander mats are 1cm thick as well.

You're not by any chance misreading the description
4 season rating
Waterproof and washable, excellent insulation
Superb compression recovery, Density: 25kg/CBM
Hygenic and non-allergic
Includes elastic retainers

as 25mm thick are you?

The only foam mat I still have as opposed to inflatable/self-inflating is an original gold 4 season Karrimat kept more for nostalgia than anything else , at 185cm long by 0.95cm thick , it is 16cm in diameter when tightly rolled so a 25mm mat of the same length would be about 40cm in diameter rolled!

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Sports Direct are selling the Karrimor Expedition mat for a tenner
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-expedition-foam-mat-782137

You will , however, probably find sleeping only on any foam mat uncomfortable as they are insulation only. The best answer is air and insulation but that's not cheap ( I should know I've just had to persuade myself to spend £130 on a Downmat 9LW! ) but you could try using something like this

http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-6-tube-inflatable-mattress-782140

with an emergency foil thermoblanket or even some of this http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/pipe-wrap-radiator-foil/reflector_foil/B-and-Q-Radiator-Reflective-Foil-500mm-x-5m-10647764?skuId=11138406 folded underneath it, to provide a thermal barrier. That way you get comfort as well as insulation and don't pay through the nose for it.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I'm going to need a bloody cart horse at this rate! :D

I'd already kind of settled on the Karrimat from SportsDirect - there's a store within five minutes of me so I can pick one up tomorrow, but now you've gone and put doubt back in my mind.

How do you lot manage to carry so much - what do you use, a 170L rucksack?

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
*Sigh* How is that simple, lightweight and comfortable wildcamping trips are only made possible for the rich? If you're unemployed or on a tight budget, you may as well forget it... decent walking shoes: £140+; quality tent: £200+; warm and comfortable sleeping mat: £130+

I personally think the price of branded outdoor gear is extortionate! Mind you, if money wasn't an object, I suppose I'd be spouting the old, "You get what you pay" adage. Hey-ho.

Anyway, thanks, brambles, I'll give the inflatable and thermoreflective option serious consideration.

You reckon an inflatable with this under it would do the job? http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-survival-blanket-784224

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE