2001 a Bushcraft Odyssey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just noticed I've passed the 2000 post mark on this site, I'm not sure how that happened.

Sunset_boil_up.jpg

I found this place by accident while looking for some living history information and I signed up straight away because I thought it might just be useful.

Little did I know it would change my life.

I went to a meet up at Loch Achray organized by John. (Magikelly) and had such a great time I have dragged myself to every meet up that I have been able to since.

The people I have met at these meets were real kindred spirits and I dare to say I have made some good friends through them.

If you are enjoying this site then the meets and moots are definitely the next step on your journey. They are well worth the effort and there are always people willing to help, teach and encourage in a way that is rare to see these days.

On the forum itself I have learned an immeasurable amount and I would like to thank everyone that has taken the time to answer my questions and put up with my occasional rants.

I suspect I've sailed close to the wind a couple of times but never been grounded, for that I must thank the Mods who put a tremendous amount of work into this site behind the scenes and it is a credit to their hard work that this site runs so smoothly and in such a friendly manner.

Of course the man I really have to thank is Tony. I've met Tony a couple of times and found him a quiet, thoughtful man. His avatar seems quite appropriate. However, without his vision in putting this site together and his drive to keep it running in spite of hardships along the way, this place we all value so much simply would not exist.

In case you are wondering this site does not pay for itself, mostly it is paid for out of Tony and Shelly's pockets. There is a way you could help and that is to become a full member.

For the cost of two or three glossy magazines, a years membership will help to ensure that this encyclopaedic resource stays exactly where it should be.

The best site on the internet. :You_Rock_

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Wayland's posting has finally made me do what I've been meaning to do for a few months and sign up for full membership.

I haven't been to any meets or moots yet, but hope to do so, but I can echo his sentiments in saying that, in the vast majority of cases, people on this forum are falling over themselves to help others and to spread their knowledge, without any thought of recompense for themselves. If only this forum were a microcosm of the whole World.

Geoff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nicely said Gary, I reckon you are probably one of the few people who post mainly good stuff here, and don't go off on a tangent like some of us do! Keep the good posts and ideas coming, and lets have many more of your fantastic photos please!

:D

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Happy 2001 Gary, fantastic post and very well said! It is folks like you that add so much to the BushcraftUK forums.

Here's to your next 2000 posts :beerchug:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well done Geoff. Makes you feel good doesn't it? Hope to see you at a meet soon.

Jodie, The picture was taken at Haukland in Lofoten. There is a beautiful beach of coral sand there that has to be seen to be believed.

shore-camp.jpg

This was taken a little earlier, the beach is on the right but the tides up so you can't see much.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Thank you, I agree that this forum does change your life, I used to think that this stuff was only for men, normally army men or complete survivalist heads. It's really lovely to meet others who think I'm normal for loving getting out into nature and actually staying a night or two.

Congratulation and hugs to you Wayland.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
congrats of the 2000th G, i would like to echo what you said about the meets, if there is anyone in two minds about attending, dont' be, i know i was very uncertain about attending the fist one, i'm usually pretty quite with people untill i get to know them, then i never shut up :rolleyes: but i was put at ease, made welcome and given loads of help where i needed it, and still do.

bcuk is a great site made special by people like you mate ;)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I'm off down South for the wild foods workshop I won in the photo comp this weekend. It'll be the first bushcraft course I've done so that's another thing that's come from the site as well.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Watch out courses are addictive, but I guess you'll end up teaching!
Great photos as usuall. I would like to go back to Norway without the expence of a course. Any pointers, heard the local tourist information can be helpfull on places to go.
Cheers and happy 2001.:You_Rock_

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I've met Tony a couple of times and found him a quiet, thoughtful man. His avatar seems quite appropriate

What, in that he is 30 stone killing machine that lives on seals in the arctic but sometimes strays into nearby settlements searching for food? :confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well said that Viking!
You have your 2000 - I have just passed 1000....
Lots of posts to come eh?
I supose tou could say that Tony is like his avatar in that he is (phoney Eastenders accent coming on) "awll wight mate!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE