2 poor condition leaf samples for ID, quite rare in these parts :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all,

Two leaves for ID not the best pics or samples but it isnt the best time of year for leaves :eek:

From two lovely trees that i have not seen in a long time so see if you can ID them as they are pretty distinctive :)

DSCF0420.jpg

DSCF0423.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I am learning trees at the mo, and do not claim to be good at it but, isnt it the one you get checker fruits from, popular or woodmans tree or something???

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is not very red for red oak though, I think. so I would go for Quercus not-my-book-a-cus, or it could be quercus in-the-book-i-cant-find-todaivia. :D

A botanist is only as smart as the field guide in front of them, well that is my excuse. :p

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I thought Oak at first but I always thought they were more symetrical than these.

I was thinking Pine Oak or Scarlet Oak.

I`m still to guess an I.D right on here so I`ll just sit down quietly at the back

Rich

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I don't recognize the one on the left, the one on the right does look like a red oak, but a somewhat deformed specimen. The ones around here are usually symmetrical. I probably shouldn't bother playing this game with Brits though, because your trees seem to be fairly different from mine.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Red Oak :) and I know the other as Feathered beech ? both really nice trees :)

I was lucky enough to find these and others such as douglas fir, brewers spruce, norwegian spruce and more. :) It was at a customers Hotel so i turned the phone off for half hour and collared the gardener ! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE