2 items of kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
During a recent visit down here I asked RM if he could only take 2 items into the woods to stay for a couple of days what would they be? ray replied a knife and a cooking pot.
What 2 items would anyone else take if different?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'd take the same, and if I may explain why: the knife, because it's supposed to be able to make everything else. But it's not easy to make a cooking pot with only a knife, unless you make a birch bark container - but you couldn't put that over a fire. So a cooking pot is essential, to heat water of any kind, unless you do the thing where you line a pit with a skin and heat it with hot stones. Obviously most other things can be cooked on sticks, on greenwood grills, or on stones.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I would take a knife and cooking pot too, because these are the hardest items to improvise and with a knife,pot and knowledge you can live comfortably in the "wild" for a long time :)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
a knife and billy for me
allhough it is possible to heat water in a wooden bowl you have carved by placing a hot rock in it

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The problem with these 'essentials' or minimum lists is the assumption of an idyllic or set scenario. My slant is admittedly toward survival preparedness,and the knife is always #1 in both disciplines. It's #2 where people get into trouble. Lets suggest you went out for a weekend of bushcraft and you A. fell and seriously broke something or B. last night's extra spicy curried fowl was foul and you collapse with severe food poisoning. These are the situations when even making a fire can be difficult and even mild weather can kill you. So, my #2 choice is always a quality sleeping bag.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
If it was only two then I'd go for my knife and firesteel. if I could sneak the firesteel as part of my knife (both in the same sheath after all ;) ) then the cooking pot would be next, although as has been said you can do without if needs be. I am reliably informed that you can boil water in a plastic drinks container on the fire and it will not melt and I know for sure you can do this with a birch bark container too, don't waste time with hot rocks it'll be fine...just don't leave it unattended as if it goes over it'll put out your fire! lol :D

Chris is right below though...if it was just a coulpe of days/nights then I think a sleeping bag and a hamper from fortnums would be very much more in order :rolleyes: :p :D

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Knife and firesteel.

Knife for obvious reasons.

Firesteel for fire (duh): stay warm whilst improvising cooking gear. By the way, I'm pants at bow/drill and would want a more reliable method of firestarting.

So, I guess my choice is a based quite a bit on my own personal skills at the moment. Who knows, in the future I might feel confident enough to take a cooking pot instead.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Smithy said:
I'd take a Unimog (with sat-nav) and a Harrods hamper. ;)

...was gunna say that :cool: haha

in all seriousness.. i would take a knife and a billy in any british turain(sp) but that is depending on weather or not we are considering clothing as part of out kit!?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
tomtom said:
...was gunna say that :cool: haha

in all seriousness.. i would take a knife and a billy in any british turain(sp) but that is depending on weather or not we are considering clothing as part of out kit!?
I guess we're assuming that we'd have appropriate clothes for the climate, although if you're working hard or you've got a fire on it wouldn't really matter.

M

marcja

Does rucksack full of kit count as one item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ;) If so, number two would be RM, he could teach me everything I needed to know if I lost my pack!!

Seriusly, definately my knife & fire-steel cos I'm rubbish at friction fire lighting (mmmmm......must watch some of those friction fire workshops at the Merthyr Mawr meet).

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
my knife and likewise the keg of beer, the method in my madness is when i wake up hungry after finnishing my keg of beer i can make a cooking pot out of it

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
My Project 1 handle has a lot of potential for built in kit, so its not cheating to take that!

I would take that and a water holding container, billy can with lid that can also be used to cook stuff! ;)

I would not even consider food over a few days (survival), far more important is fire, shelter and water. You can go at least a week without food with little danger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE