1980's Australian SAS Documentary?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just a question over on sotp about the documentary involving an SAS patrol going against
A small band of Australian Aboriginals to go through the Bush from a to b surviving only with what they were carrying.

I recall it very clearly but have no idea what it was called ( the person asking thinks it was
"The hunting party") It hasn't yet been found on youtube so any links or advice on locating the thing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
That sort of thing interests me RB but after an extensive search I failed to find anything that related to it but very interested if others shed light.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Just had a look around for a while and no joy. Normally I can find that sort of thing. It looks like it was part of of a BBC series in 1985 so I can only suggest contacting them and politely asking them if they can't provide you with a copy would they at least consider perhaps putting it on the iPlayer or something.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Funny, mate & I were chatting about this the other week. Will also have a dig around and see if I can find it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
There was a documentary made in the mid 80's called 'Battle for the Golden Road' about selection to the SASR....don't know if that featured anything like you were/are looking for.

D.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I recall that the SAS boys got to "b" first - coz the Abbos ditched the comp when they found good fishing at a billabong - why work hard when the fishing is easy?
I cannot find anything on line....

I recall that the SAS boys got to "b" first - coz the Abbos ditched the comp when they found good fishing at a billabong - why work hard when the fishing is easy?
I cannot find anything on line....

according to one of ruediger nehberg's books (he did something similiar involving him, an aboriginal guy and a 3rd guy) several members of the SAS team had to get flown out by helicopter...

rancid badger

I managed to establish, via the Australian film archives that the title was indeed "The Hunting Party" and that it was made in 1990 and found this clip:
[video]http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/gulpilil-one-red-blood/clip3/?nojs[/video]

But sadly, that appears to be it.

You'd think that there would be copies available but apparently not, at least not at any sort of sensible rate anyway.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In the 80s I worked with a guy who had been in the Australian SAS (he'd joined up in time to go to Vietnam, came back in a dreadful state). His blood brother was an australian aboriginal, they were inseparable.

I'd be most Aussie SAS members would be well familiar with outback aboriginal skills.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I managed to establish, via the Australian film archives that the title was indeed "The Hunting Party" and that it was made in 1990 and found this clip:
[video]http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/gulpilil-one-red-blood/clip3/?nojs[/video]

But sadly, that appears to be it.

You'd think that there would be copies available but apparently not, at least not at any sort of sensible rate anyway.

Aired on the BBC2, 10th May 1985 7:45pm as part of the "The World about us" documentary series.

Few episodes of the series on youtube... eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMMU1kIvf9U but not that particular one.

Though that one looks interesting, bunch of people with a knife, pot and string trying to live off Exmoor for two weeks, back in 1974.

http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2b72abe239
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/75a75bf298c34efab69f018648190f b0

Last edited:

rancid badger

In the 80s I worked with a guy who had been in the Australian SAS (he'd joined up in time to go to Vietnam, came back in a dreadful state). His blood brother was an australian aboriginal, they were inseparable.

I'd be most Aussie SAS members would be well familiar with outback aboriginal skills.

Actually, the documentary seemed to prove the exact opposite! the SAS team seemed to struggle, while the locals just sauntered along, quite literally pleasing themselves:)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I seem to remember a river crossing, SAS tried to go over and coming a cropper? And the aboriginals just walked around.

rancid badger

I seem to remember a river crossing, SAS tried to go over and coming a cropper? And the aboriginals just walked around.

There were quite a few times the Military approach didn't come out tops!.

Well done Jared, for posting up the link to the "Back to Nature" series. I recall this from my teenage years and the inspirational effect it had on me and my pals was very significant.;)

I think it's probably fair to say that it was me who it influenced the most out of our "gang":rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE