1972 land rover lightweight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Great work there, keep the updates coming please.

Nope i agree Andy, they're terrible terrible cars, unreliable, uncomfortable, terrible mpg, no mechanical grip on road, but still enough grip to show up the brakes which are even worse.
The interior layout from the "throw switched as the dash and we'll fit them where they land" design club, try winding your window down while driving :lmao:
Dangerous on motorways due to it's instability and lack of top speed, in fact dangerous pretty much anywhere, add to that pretty much the worse driving experience this side of balancing a tea tray on the top of a pregnant water buffalo, on ice on a boat in rough seas.
They're not even THAT good off-road as stock compared to modern equivalents.

They're certainly a buy where your heart doesn't just override your mind it pretty much puts it into a coma.

But then if you speak to most folks they think that spending the night in a cold dark forest is insanity as well, so we all have our own little "land rover" type things, sometimes logic and common sense just needs to take a back seat in favour of doing something you love.

Thing is, I can live with the rest - it has a certain quaint charm!. But the engines.......Hell, you could put an MZ 250 two-stroke engine in and it would be a better vehicle!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Thing is, I can live with the rest - it has a certain quaint charm!. But the engines.......Hell, you could put an MZ 250 two-stroke engine in and it would be a better vehicle!

You'd hate the 80hp 2.5 tonne G-Waggons then!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Nope i agree Andy, they're terrible terrible cars, unreliable, uncomfortable, terrible mpg, no mechanical grip on road, but still enough grip to show up the brakes which are even worse.
The interior layout from the "throw switched as the dash and we'll fit them where they land" design club, try winding your window down while driving :lmao:
Dangerous on motorways due to it's instability and lack of top speed, in fact dangerous pretty much anywhere, add to that pretty much the worse driving experience this side of balancing a tea tray on the top of a pregnant water buffalo, on ice on a boat in rough seas.
They're not even THAT good off-road as stock compared to modern equivalents.

The above is wrong on so many levels, as a Hilux owner and one time LR owner I'll add a few comments.

1) Reliability. There were numerous issues with the old 3 bearing diesels and later 5 bearing versions but the petrols (excluding the V8) and later diesels have proved capable of high mileages when properly maintained. Transmission components can be problematic but can also give good service if maintained well and used by a competent driver.
2) Comfort. Drove them for years both military and civilian. Never had a problem but found that the County seats were a great improvement over the older 2 piece seats. Heavy clutch can be an issue for some people. Bench seats in rear are not the most comfortable form of seating. Heaters have a well deserved poor reputation in the pre TD5 models.
3) MPG. No worse than the Landcruisers, Jeeps or G-Wagons I've used. About 20% worse than my Hilux but that's a much lighter road orientated vehicle.
4) Grip. Poor on tarmack when using knobbly tyres, much better when using road tyres but never as good as a dedicated road car. Most issues are caused by drivers failing to modify their driving style. The latest £300K V12 G-Wagons do not handle any better yet Mercedes are happy to fit 700BHP engines. There's a reason F1 cars do not use live beam axles, they are not noted for their handling prowess! My 2002 Hilux is marginally better at handling than my Series 3 LR but not much.
5) Brakes got better over the years but it's never easy bringing a tall, heavy vehicle to a halt on off-road tyres. Modern LRs have ABS and were the first 4x4s to offer this feature.
6) Interior. An aquired taste. I valleted a Hilux and a LR last week. I used a vacuum cleaner on the Hilux and a pressure washer on the LR. If you can't use a pressure washer inside a 4x4 it's a poor design.
7) Dangerous on motorways due to instabillity and low speed? No, dangerous due to lack of driving skills and impatience? Yes.
8) Off road. In most situations there is nothing better and very few others even come close. Vehicles with cross axle diff locks have advantages in snow/ice conditions but the new LR traction control negates this advantage in most situations.

I've noticed that in the last 10 years nearly all of my local farmers have gone back to using Land Rovers. They say that this is due to the modern pickups being SUVs rather than true working vehicles and though more reliable than the LRs, the LRs proved to be cheaper to run over their working lives.

Last edited:

ghound

Nov 10, 2012
doagh
An old series thats been rebuilt is a fine truck to drive, though i find them more fun in the summer months especially with the roof off.
One of my past favourites was this ex-mil 109, and i have another bought!!

landroverseries1091.jpg

landroverseries1092.jpg

here's some more pics of my previous trucks

ex-mill 90
raf90002.jpg

series 2a with 1 owner from new!
series2a114.jpg

this years series 3 summer hack
bulkheads1008.jpg

300tdi 90, which was a blast off road
17062010900.jpg

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
OOOOF! my first vehicle was a lightweight landy, license FCK895Y if any one happens across it now,
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e2s1

Looks like it's been offroad (in the sense of untaxed) since 1997
[h=1]Vehicle enquiry[/h]
The enquiry is complete.The vehicle details for FCK 895Y are:
Date of Liability01 07 1997
Date of First Registration20 07 1983
Year of Manufacture1974
Cylinder Capacity (cc)2286cc
CO2 EmissionsNot Available
Fuel TypeHEAVY OIL
Export MarkerN
Vehicle StatusUnlicensed
Vehicle ColourGREEN
Vehicle Type ApprovalNot Available

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
There someone running round by us in a perfect lightweight. Stared at it for twenty minutes drooling. Also seen what looked like a perfect 101.

Come on seven numbers.

Timinoz

Nov 21, 2014
Melbourne
May I say what an amazing job you have done. This is just what I need for my 1978 Series iii Lightweight. Please advise me of the cost for one of these vent panels. I need to ship to Australia but can arrange collection if preferred.
Tim

andrewjsimpson1977

Aug 10, 2015
Bedfordshire
May I say what an amazing job you have done. This is just what I need for my 1978 Series iii Lightweight. Please advise me of the cost for one of these vent panels. I need to ship to Australia but can arrange collection if preferred.
Tim

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but are you still making these restored vent panels?

I am new to the site - so I should introduce myself - I'm Andy - currently restoring a series 2a lightweight that is fairly rotten.

Would be very much interested in ordering one of your vent panels if they price favourably compared to new!

Best regards,

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE