1000D Cordura or 18oz Canvas???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
I am making a pack, and I'm trying to decide whether to use cordura or canvas. I have done the research on heat, cut, tear, and abrasion resistance, and I also know the strength to weight ratios. Has anyone experimented with trying to make cordura look like waxed canvas? how well will cordura absorb and retain or contain the wax? I'm tempted to use cordura for the weight savings but I really like the look of waxed canvas. Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
Cordura is probably the 'better' material but personally, I prefer canvas because it's traditional and that's my cup of tea! They're both perfectly fine materials to use and neither will let you down as long as you look after them properly, so for me, the aesthetics take precedence. I've been using 12oz canvas for a few projects and that's plenty tough enough, so I'm sure 18oz will hold up fine for a long time.

Just out of interest, where are you buying your 18oz canvas from from? I've been looking for some 18oz canvas for a while but the only colour I've seen has been white, which I'd prefer not to get because it'd mean dying to a beige colour. Have you got a supplier you could inform me of, mate?

jeremyctry

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
United States
I prefer the looks of the Waxed Canvas and I am leaning that way myself but I am trying to work a weight saving miracle and get the same traditional/Iconic/Classical look from Cordura. I waxed a piece of both 18 oz canvas and 1000D cordura and posted them up 2 out of 3 people so far thought that the cordura was the canvas. I have other tests to perform and want to get feedback from more people but so far I'm excited about it. as for a source for canvas try here
http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/categories/number-8-18oz-cotton-duck-canvas.html

Jonprov

Jul 31, 2015
Singapore
Hi, I am also researching on whether to wax Cordura or write it off as a bad idea. Could you kindly share your experience waxing Cordura and how it looks compared to canvas? Pictures would be very helpful too. Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE