100% Cotton Jackets ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Aside from the 100% cotton British smocks, does anyone wear (Gasp!!!) 100% cotton jackets? I realize most people and books say this is a no-no, but I find certain types quite durable, comfortable, and obviously better around fires. If you do wear one, what kind is it?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
A Ventile jacket, a cotton Swedish army snow smock in the arctic, and
Sometimes a unlined Barbour jacket.
My best.
Chris.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Ventile for me too, a Hilltrek Braemar smock or a Country Innovations Rover jacket. Depends on the weather though.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Ventile gets a very bad rep in the US but a good one over here. If not washed in regular detergents it keeps you fairly dry and is very breathable. If washed in regular detergents it tuns into a sponge.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Wash It? Never have mine! Like to keep the woodsmoke smell..... Worn in nice now, I just spot clean it when it needs it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ventile gets a very bad rep in the US but a good one over here. If not washed in regular detergents it keeps you fairly dry and is very breathable. If washed in regular detergents it tuns into a sponge.
Remember - detergents are just wetting agents - and leave a residue....

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Nothing wrong with cotton at all, if it's done right.

Goretex certainly has it's place, but having seen, with monotonous regularity, how easily it gets ruined and holed by hot sparks and ember flashes from campfires, I'll stick with cotton, tightly woven with a decent proofing treatment.

It's done a good job for me up to now.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I never wash my Ventile. I love the woodsmoke smell! Gets a sponge down once in a while, but no detergents of any kind, not even Nikwax etc. You read all these horror stories on the web about it soaking up water etc. I reckon people have either got fake Ventile or they have washed it in the washing machine.

BTW I think these Ventile / Nikwax analogy garments are a bit of a funny idea because the analogy liner gets smelly and needs to be washed, yet the Ventile hates being washed.

M

McCoy

I would recommend good quality wax cotton jackets, such as Barbour and Filson. I know some people seem to think they aren't breathable but I would say I get no wetter from sweat wearing a Barbour than I do when wearing Gore-Tex and such like. Also if you match the outer layer to the weather/activity you will be much more comfortable, I find if I use my waterproof only when it is raining, I remain much more happy.
I think wax cotton is the same as most things though, keep it clean, look after it, and it will breathe ok, clog it up with dirt or shoddy reproofing, and that is when you get problems.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't have any Ventile.

I do have a bike saddlebag made from heavy cotton duck.

Gets used year round, in all weathers (snow, rain, mud, baking sun). Gets out at least 15hours every week, week in week out.

It has never leaked, not a drop. Not even in rain that has created flash floods several feet deep. Not on trips that are 10 hours long and drizzle every minute.

I'm not sure I'd want a jacket made of the stuff, it's pretty stiff and heavy. But it is certainly waterproof. Never been washed or 'proofed'.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm not sure about the value of proofing ventile. Initially water beads off but then it is overwhelmed. Unproofed you get to the wetted out stage faster and at that point it should not let in any more water. With wool underneath, it is effective even in heavy rain.

John, presumably, the residue left by detergent means there is some wetting agent left in the fibres which diminishes their water resistance? I wash mine in soap flakes, using only a tiny amount, and do not proof it.

Last edited:

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
I use a double ventile jacket from hill trek.

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cycling_Double_Ventile_Jacket.html

With regards to washing it using non detergent cleaner, I've heard it makes them softer after the first few times and thus even more comfortable. Is this true?

Have been using it for a 30 mile round trip commute on bicycle, 4 days a week for about 8months. All I have done is brush off the muck once it has dried.

Still looks great.

I do sweat in it, but its not trapped inside like it would be in a DWR hard shell, IMHO it rocks...=)

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
As Treadlightly says - Quality cotton top with a wool underlayer is excellent. I find ventile excellent and also the cotton 'ventileish' jackets made by SASS. Wifey and I use them regularly. They have never let us down. Water beads of, wind stays out, and so much quieter than the 'tinfoil' rustle of nylon derivative jackets. I tend to use canvas packs where I can as well for the same reasons.

kawasemi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE