10,000 BC: Two Tribes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Fun show.

Should be interesting if the last series was anything to go by.Hmmm?

Hope they dont pull them out and put them up in a hotel when things get tight tight for them this time. 10,000 BC in a Travelodge just doesn't work for me.

I see they have added a new factor, Picts.. excellent. i hope they live up to my expectations of what i expect from tattooed warrior tribes.

Cheers for the heads up.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Watched episodes but did not enjoy any of the 6-7 I viewed. I gives and deflates false hope and reality in folks who follow these styles of programs.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If its anything like the last one it'll turn into a standard reality drama... only difference being the participants are dressed in period clothing and rationing out food brought in by the production team.

I'd prefer a good documentary from experts who know what they're doing... lose all the petty arguments and egos.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
This season is supposed to be a lot more skilled. Also, I'm just happy that there's 'Stone Age' themed entertainment to instill interest in Palaeolithic archaeology... :)

From your perspective, was any of the last series valuable? What I mean is... did they do anything last series that was genuinely 10,000BC... or is it just an adapted version of BG The Island?

Palaeocory

Forager
From your perspective, was any of the last series valuable? What I mean is... did they do anything last series that was genuinely 10,000BC... or is it just an adapted version of BG The Island?

Oh gosh yes, it was so valuable from a sociological interest - I've had countless meandering conversations with people about what happened in that group in their inability to deal with freeriders (people who just dossed about and drained resources), and organize themselves so that there was a way to punish devients. Whose way of dealing with others was a good strategy, what personality dealt with the culture shock best, who picked up new skills and used them well etc. The last series, even though it was mostly watching people starve due to poor casting, was immensly interesting!

Genuinely 10,000BC though - there's two reasons I'll say no. One is, they were plonked into the situation and had no apprenticeship, no growing up in that situation, no multiple generations and knowledge-knowhow being passed around in a 10,000BC lifeway. You can't just plonk a bunch of people in the forest and strip them of modern technology and call it Stone Age, and they weren't trying to. The show was a sociological experiment, you'll hear the host Klint say that again and again - to see how modern people handle an artificial situation styled after a pan-Stone Age scenario.

The other reason I'll say no is that there is no one '10,000 BC' - 10,000 BC was so different the world over, and the technologies and situations this group were involved in were a mishmash. That's why it's really 'pan-Stone Age', not Palaeolithic Bulgaria or Mesolithic Britain or anywhere else.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
The main aspect of reality of 10,00 BC is that they grew up in that era and were "schooled" as part of their life.
Like today not all were "master" hunters, knappers, healers etc... Some had "gifts" others were apprenticed into it.
What I see mostly is the false reality of experience gathered from book only or guided excursions and such. And the imagined reality of vegetarian life, (sorry Toddy) mankind is omnivore or prey depending on the luck of the day.

In an other thread a gentleman shared his experience of suffering ankle damage and how he dealt with it, in reality the injury even though healed will still be weak.
Now go back to 10,000 BC what to do, no ER, no Xray, no rehab, injuries deeply affected your and your family life.

Today is the good old days we seem to yearn for, nice dreams but harsh reality.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Come on people. It'll give us a chance to shout at the TV then come on here and shout some more. Give it a chance. if anything it'll give BG a break until the Island starts back up again. :p

I'm looking forward to listening to them arguing and moaning about...well everything from lack of food, bed bugs, laziness within the tribe, the cold. the wet and the tears...there will be tears. :rolleyes:

This season is supposed to be a lot more skilled. Also, I'm just happy that there's 'Stone Age' themed entertainment to instill interest in Palaeolithic archaeology... :)

I know a chap who was involved in trainin a couple of em up for this series so i can confirm they have had some teaching before it not mid way when the producers realised they were about t kark it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE