1.75" oak-bark tanned bridle leather belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have one of these belts available, handmade by me, 1.75" wide and long enough so that it can be cut to fit a waist size up to about 48".

The belt is complete, barring cutting to length and sewing on the buckle (and punching the holes), so I can finish it to fit the buyer's waist size.

This is the strap and buckle that I have available:
IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

The belt is made from traditionally tanned bridle leather, from J & FJ Baker of Devon (http://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/), the last remaining traditional tanner in England, on a site that has been a tannery since Roman times. The finest quality hides are prepared using English oak bark, in a process that takes over a year to produce the leather. They are thick (3.5 to 4 mm), strong, and packed with oils and waxes. To paraphrase the Carlsberg advert, “probably the best leather in the world”. I can only describe this leather as gorgeous – the smell, feel, and look are nothing like standard veg-tan leather.

The belt is cut from an Australian Nut coloured bridle butt (a darkish brown with a hint of red, and a classic colour of the saddlery trade), edges are chamfered and burnished by hand, with an edge crease applied, the leather is waxed with Carnauba Wax, before the solid brass buckle is hand sewn on with linen thread. Finally, oval holes are punched in the tongue of the belt.

Although not the belt and buckle in question, here is an illustration of a similar (1.5") belt, showing the buckle stitching and holes.
IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

This belt is for sale at £45, plus postage (£4.70 for second class signed for). Please PM and post in the thread. Earliest date on a PM has priority, if there is any conflict.

I can take Paypal, cheque or direct bank transfer.

Thanks

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE