Parabolic Mirror

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
With the glorious sunshine we have been having, i got the parabolic mirror i bought last autumn out and had a play, thing is amazing and great fun, should go down a hoot at some shows later in the year that i'll hopefully be fit enough to attend by then.

20180504_114219 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Reactions: Ascobis

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We can top that in Pyrenees -Orientales. We have a solar oven that can generate 3,200 Kws by using 9,600 mirrors and is 54 metres by 48 metre. Bit bulky and heavy to get in the rucksack though and cost a bit more than yours!

However, in common with yours, it is non-polluting and uses free fuel. You can read about it on www.foursolaire-fontromeu.fr or Wikipedia.

Reactions: Janne and Kepis

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Off topic, a little bit. Is aliexpress legit? I believed it to be a spamtastic bait-and-switch ripoff scam, until Kepis mentioned getting something decent for a decent price. Comments?

Back on thread, my high school physics lab included a 0.5 m front-surface parabolic mirror. We did stupid things with it, of course.

Still on thread, there's a sequence in The Walking Dead where Daryl and some soon-to-be-dead character strip the headlight assembly from a car and later use it to start a fire in what appears to be a Dakota fire hole.

<humor>That is the only real-world application ever to appear on tWD, imho. OK, that and "know what you are shooting at and what is _behind_ it." Sucks to be you, Coral.</humor>

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've only ever ordered one thing off Aliexpress, it did come and was what was expected, I may use them again but usually I find what I'm after on ebay or amazon.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah it
Off topic, a little bit. Is aliexpress legit? I believed it to be a spamtastic bait-and-switch ripoff scam, until Kepis mentioned getting something decent for a decent price. Comments?

Back on thread, my high school physics lab included a 0.5 m front-surface parabolic mirror. We did stupid things with it, of course.

Still on thread, there's a sequence in The Walking Dead where Daryl and some soon-to-be-dead character strip the headlight assembly from a car and later use it to start a fire in what appears to be a Dakota fire hole.

<humor>That is the only real-world application ever to appear on tWD, imho. OK, that and "know what you are shooting at and what is _behind_ it." Sucks to be you, Coral.</humor>

Yeah its legit. I'v been using it for years with no problems....as have loads of others

Its just an escrow service

Reactions: Ascobis

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I bought one of these last year. I haven;t had the chance to use it yet as I'm in Scotland so still waiting for the few minutes a year that the sun can can break through the clouds and the swarms of midges.

Reactions: Janne and Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE