Overnight wild camp in Ennerdale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
Hi all

I took advantage of the family holiday to the Lakes to test myself with my first solo overnight wild camp.
Having E mailed the incredibly helpful Wild Ennerdale website I was comfortable it was OK to camp in the forest.
Even basic ovenight kit seemed heavy but given I was using my old Berghaus Roc and my trustee 58 pattern sleeping bag it was hardly surprising! A spare jumper, a couple of litres of water and the luxury of a billy can together with some food and my hammock took up the remaining room.

I set off about mid afternoon on the South side of the lake and negotiated anglers crag.

I had originally planned to walk well in to the valley but my time appreciation was out given that the path was more of a steady walk from stone to stone than a fast flat easy tab. So I got to the end of the lake by about 1600 and was rewarded with a lovely view.

Realising my plan of a long walk was looking less achievable I decided to give myself time to find a site on the North side of the lake well in to Ennerdale Forest to camp. Im glad I did as it took me a while to walk through the woods looking for that 'optimum spot'. I was going to be choosy but eventually found a lovely site just on the edge of tall pines with a view of the fells. I was happy that I was going to stay reasonably sheltered from the wind but retain some light as the evening drew in.

Setting up seemed to take a while but I eventually had my DD hammock and 3m tarp how I wanted them.

It seemed that everything was taking longer than I expected, no great issues there but I was learning a good lesson about giving yourself time at the end of a day to find a campsite, set up and still have light to cook and relax.

So, without more ado the trangia triangle was on and a ready meal chilli and rice in a boil bag was cooking in the water I was going to use for a brew.

Dinner over the light was fading and my plan of sitting watching the stars in this great dark sky location was scuppered by the wind picking up and the beginning of a night of showers. So, I took to my hammock and spent a relaxed dry night listening to the rain, the occasional animal noise and the rustling of the trees. I cant say I slept well but this did not seem to be an issue as it was so satisfying just to be out, alone, enjoying the experience.

I was up at first light and after porridge and a brew I set off through the forest enjoying the woodland beauty.

An hour or so back round the lake and my lift to take me home arrived.

Overall a short but perfect first time out. I showed myself I could do it and learnt a lot about giving yourself time to set up. Im also resolved to look at lighter kit for walking where those few extra kilos seem to make a difference.

Steve

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I agonise over which spot to hang my hammock every time.,

Nice report thanks. Pics should just be a case of copy and paste the

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
I recognise a lot of that ground, so pretty and a real feeling of remoteness. Some good help with lighter gear!

Steve

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
Takes a few trips to know what you can do without, I'm always looking at ways of slimming the kit down.
Really like the photo of the tarp amongst the pine trees. Looks a great place.
Thanks.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi all

I took advantage of the family holiday to the Lakes to test myself with my first solo overnight wild camp.
Having E mailed the incredibly helpful Wild Ennerdale website I was comfortable it was OK to camp in the forest.
Even basic ovenight kit seemed heavy but given I was using my old Berghaus Roc and my trustee 58 pattern sleeping bag it was hardly surprising! A spare jumper, a couple of litres of water and the luxury of a billy can together with some food and my hammock took up the remaining room.

I set off about mid afternoon on the South side of the lake and negotiated anglers crag.

image by steveh1h, on Flickr

I had originally planned to walk well in to the valley but my time appreciation was out given that the path was more of a steady walk from stone to stone than a fast flat easy tab. So I got to the end of the lake by about 1600 and was rewarded with a lovely view.

Realising my plan of a long walk was looking less achievable I decided to give myself time to find a site on the North side of the lake well in to Ennerdale Forest to camp. Im glad I did as it took me a while to walk through the woods looking for that 'optimum spot'. I was going to be choosy but eventually found a lovely site just on the edge of tall pines with a view of the fells. I was happy that I was going to stay reasonably sheltered from the wind but retain some light as the evening drew in.

Setting up seemed to take a while but I eventually had my DD hammock and 3m tarp how I wanted them.

It seemed that everything was taking longer than I expected, no great issues there but I was learning a good lesson about giving yourself time at the end of a day to find a campsite, set up and still have light to cook and relax.

So, without more ado the trangia triangle was on and a ready meal chilli and rice in a boil bag was cooking in the water I was going to use for a brew.

Dinner over the light was fading and my plan of sitting watching the stars in this great dark sky location was scuppered by the wind picking up and the beginning of a night of showers. So, I took to my hammock and spent a relaxed dry night listening to the rain, the occasional animal noise and the rustling of the trees. I cant say I slept well but this did not seem to be an issue as it was so satisfying just to be out, alone, enjoying the experience.

I was up at first light and after porridge and a brew I set off through the forest enjoying the woodland beauty.

An hour or so back round the lake and my lift to take me home arrived.

Overall a short but perfect first time out. I showed myself I could do it and learnt a lot about giving yourself time to set up. Im also resolved to look at lighter kit for walking where those few extra kilos seem to make a difference.

Steve

Good stuff, glad you managed to get out :)

Hope you don't mind but I've added some of your photo's to the above (sorry if they're in the wrong place!). To add them from flickr you need to go to share then select the BBCode option and the size.

Matt

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good stuff mate! Great report! I've been round Ennerdale quite a lot on boat and foot and it's a lovely area! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE