Not So Fast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Whilst out for a walk earlier today I stopped for a cuppa beneath a tree and, whilst looking into the sky, a thought suddenly occurred to me:
Where are the Swifts?

They seem a bit late this year. I haven't seen a single one yet.
I'm sure there may be dribs and drabs somewhere, but I haven't seen any and I'm willing to bet (because of that) that if you've seen some recently it hasn't been anywhere near as many as you would normally have by now.

Even the sand martins are a bit behind time. They're normally first to arrive, and I have seen some, but only a handful. Along the creeks and estuaries I would have expected to have seen loads but I can say I've seen barely a handful so far.

On the plus side, I've heard and seen more cuckoos this year. Hardly abundant, but a slight rise on recent years.

If the swifts don't get a move on then they may have to think about changing their name.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Everything is slow this year. Our apple tree has only just bloomed, yet according to my diary it's usually at least three weeks earlier.
The Hill farmers are saying that everything's five weeks behind, except the new lambs. They were having to provide feed for the ewes who would normally be grazing fresh grass.

That said, all of our fruit bushes and trees are absolutely bursting with flourish and full of big bees. The little ones don't seem to be about in great numbers yet. So maybe there's hope for a really good harvest later on.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve seen a few Swifts here in West Sussex, but they’re a bit late. Those cold snaps won’t have helped much. I’m only just starting to see lots of flying insects.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oddly, the same here. The flowering trees and shrubs are just finishing now. Maybe 2(?) weeks late.
The buds in my grape vines have finally opened.
I'm told that many of our migratory birds are weeks late.
But, the stupid robins showed up with 6" snow on the ground!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Well waddya know!
I have just been sitting in the garden and what do I see - a pair of swifts tumbling about high in the sky!

I still stand by my main point though - they should have really started showing up three or four weeks ago.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Loads of swifts around my way. Much to my surprise they appeared about 3 weeks ago.

Got to love the sound of them, to me it's the signal that Summer has arrived despite the cockeyed weather we've been having lately

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Loads of starlings been chattering away all day here, and that's unusual as they were all wiped out by a bird of prey of some sort a few years back, actually saw one being carried up the street in it's claws. Was just thinking it was nice to see them coming back, and as I watched them flitting about the sky spotted the first of the swifts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE