My new rifle: CZ455

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I mentioned in another thread that i had applied for a rifle licence here in Ireland. I don't know how it works in the UK but here I have to pick the gun, get the serial number and then apply for the licence. I had already decided that .22LR was appropriate for me in what i wanted it for and it needed to be cheap to run. After a bit of umming and arhing, I settled on a CZ455 Standard model as this had iron sights, dove rail and threaded for a moderator. It was a very close call between that and the Ruger 10/22 wooden stock, but if I was to teach my kids to shoot I thought the semi automatic a bit more risky to twitchy fingers.

So deposit paid, serial number got, licence applied and then accepted and paid all within two weeks I collected the rifle. I then spent an hour making the rough sling.

20170708_170806 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

The rifle came with the standard 5 round magazine but i also purchased the 10 round magazine as well.

20170709_194311 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

20170717_171008 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

After a quick go with the iron sites shooting at a 50mm target at 15m, I realised my eyesight wasn't up to it as everything blurred, so I put on a scope. It is a Hawk Nite-Eye 3-10x44 IR and set the targets at 45m (approx 50yrds) and sighted in. Just to note, there is an earth banking used as a backstop.

20170717_170905 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

20170717_170914 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

20170717_170922 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

20170717_170929 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

At that distance I can achieve 25mm groupings within the 50mm target ring using bog standard cheapo rounds; 5 euro for 50. That is purely down to how steady I can hold the rifle, even with a DIY support stand and I'm hoping that improves when the bipod arrives, (also have to work on the arm strength). The bolt action is not as smooth as it could be, but prior research shows that this would be the case and that it will improve over time. Overall, I'm as happy as a pig in poo :eek:

Just to point out; the black at the front of the stock and hanging of the barrel is cut bicycle inner tube for use as stiff 'rubber bands'. I can, and have tried, adding a cree torch to the front of the stock to see if it would work for night time shooting by illuminating the target area enough for the scope to pick out the target; it works very well.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Looks great. If (like myself) your arm strength is not currently up there for comfortable free shooting, then I'd highly recomend a primos trigger stick. They're a little pricey, but well worth it imo. And 2 weeks from start to finish? That would make the English FAC applicants green with envy.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thank you Arya, I intend too!!

Hugh, you're right about the price. I wonder if the head or the 2 point rest will fit a camera tripod? Even the dealer I got the rifle from said it was the quickest he had ever heard of. I think already having the shotgun for nearly two years helped, as well as dropping the application in person and running through it with the Guard.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Congratulations. Bolt actions are reliable.
Shouldering a rifle is an unusual motion that requires daily exercise/practice.
Try to get a little coaching regarding your breathing rhythm.
There will never be a tree to lean against when you need one.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Janne/RV; Thanks for the tip on breathing. I had thought it was the other way round but that was from many many moons ago when I last shot with a rifle. Where i will be predominately shooting there are no convenient trees so i will be practicing all three; standing, sitting and prone.

The bolt drawing action is fine, its when its closing down that the action is a bit restricted. I will look at giving it a good clean.

Mr M, how is the working action on yours?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Exercise: This is quite important, I think. I was a member of a City trap shooting club for many years. Once a year, we would have a serious club shoot.
300 shots one day, 300 the next and some side events if you felt(?) like it. That meant lifting the shotgun a minimum of 600 times over 2 days.
The effects were telling. Many held their breath for far too long and got tired too soon. I use to count breaths to remember.

The Grand National Traps in the United States is 1,500 shots over 5 days. If you're any good and shoot clean, there's a shoot-off of another 1,500 shots.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
You made the right choice there. 10/22s are fun, but the CZ is fare more accurate.

As a point of interest to you, the inner tube could have a negative effect on the accuracy of the rifle. It's better that nothing is touching the barrel. I'm not sure if that model is free floated, but it is worth noting.

Enjoy teaching them how to shoot -you have the perfect tool for the job now.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I got my previous fiancé's grandsons a 10-22 years ago and my now oldest grandson one as well. I've been quite pleased with them but I think you made the better choice. Also impressed with your scope.

If your groups are nice and tight, your breathing is fine. On the other hand, if the groups a re tight side to side yet in a string up and down, then your breathing needs work. (shooting while inhaling raises the point of impact whereas shooting while exhaling lowers it)

5 Euros for 50 rounds of 22 sounds somewhat dear to me.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for the replies.

RV/Santaman. Unless i could buy a brick, that might reduce the cost a little bit, but as i only have a licence to hold 200 rounds that's out; the cost of the other calibers here may shock you.

I do need to work on my breathing and stamina. Its been since April when I trained for a boxing match and now I just potter round the garden so my upper body has Samson like strength (if it ever had it!). i did a 50 round clay shoot the other week and i was goosed.

Janne; I plan on hares with mine, rabbits if I see any but I haven't seen one of those in my area since I moved here, and any ground based vermin in the fields. The goat is due to kid shortly and I think using the .22 on the fox that's around will be less disruptive than the shotgun. I'll look at that re lugs.

Hibrion; I believe it is free floating but how would having the rubber on the barrel affect its performance? Genuinely curious as I don't have a clue about it.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Because the rubber is touching the barrel and pulling it (although only slightly) it will change the point of impact ever so slightly. This is why you see bipods mounted to the stock rather than the barrel. Similarly you don't see slings mounted to barrels except for on only double rifles. If you want to mount a torch check online for some simple and cheap mounts to put it on your scope.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE