My new (old) axe restoration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I recently acquired this old Kent pattern axe.
New axe by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

A bit rusty, and the handle was very loose. In fact, the wedge was missing, but someone had helpfully driven a couple of nails into the end as a rather unsuccessful substitute. It was easy work to knock the handle out of the head, after which the head went into a citric acid bath overnight. Here it is after cleaning.
Axe head by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr
No edge by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The head has "JOHN RILEY SOLID STEEL" stamped on it, and it tips the scales at 15oz. You could have ridden bareback on the edge as it was!

I have put an asymmetric bevel on the axe, with a shallow, flattish bevel on the back, and a shorter convex bevel on the front. Hopefully this will give more 'bite' when carving wood.
Asymmetric grinds by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Then it was time for a new handle. I roughly shaped a piece of ash, and more precisely shaped the end to go in the eye.
Shaping by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr
Rough Handle by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr
Then I fitted the head with an oak wedge, and a small steel wedge.
Wedges by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Then came the final shaping of the handle, leaving it looking something like this.
Almost done by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The handle might be a bit fat in places for my small girlie hands, but I can always take a bit more wood off if needs be. Just needs several coats of linseed oil now, and a leather axe mask, which is in progress.

Thanks for looking!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Brilliant, really enjoyed reading through that process, nothing is quite as satisfying as bringing an old neglected tool back into use, love the shave horse btw.

Reactions: Muddypaws

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Fine work there MP, I have come across a few heads like that what are they good for?

Kent patterns are very good all round axes IMO. They make rather good carving axes and general splinters, but are very useful when snedding and hedge laying (when a wider edge comes into its own). The only thing I don't like using them for is actual felling, I personally prefer shorter edges to get more of a bite into the wood.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Fine work there MP, I have come across a few heads like that what are they good for?

What WealdenWoodsman said - I'm essentially going to use this for woodcarving, and the wide edge means that my striking accuracy doesn't have to be that good!

Brilliant, really enjoyed reading through that process, nothing is quite as satisfying as bringing an old neglected tool back into use, love the shave horse btw.

Not my shave horse (well I didn't make it, my dad did). Unfortunately it is showing its age, and it has some splits in the end, which are running into the leg sockets, so the whole thing is a bit wobbly. I'm thinking of trying to build a new horse, since I saw a picture on Pinterest of a folding shave horse. I doubt it would have as much character though.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Lovely job .
Really enjoyed seeing this .

And also learnt about this citric acid bath thing , that definitely breaks the back off removing the rust with the old wire wool ...

I really want to do exactly this , bringing an old axe head back to life and hafting it .
But not without making a shave horse first ...
3in1 type of project , if I could just get the time ...
I'm setting a goal for completion by end of the summer , hopefully with the longer evenings I will have more of a chance ...

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Just a quick update. I have made a leather axe mask.

Axe mask by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Made from 3.5mm veg tan, and dyed black (because that is the only colour leather dye that I have)

The handle has also been oiled, but I still may thin it down slightly, I'll know more when I have had the chance to give the axe a proper workout.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That mask is a nice completion to a good restoration; the asymetrical bevel makes a big difference to the carving qualities of an axe imho. Nicely done :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very nearly single bevel axes are still in common use for flatting log surfaces in small log home foundations.
Essential tool at the framing stage. Big log home log faces are usually power shaped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE