Day Out Fossil Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I've just got back from a day at the seaside.
I set out early this morning and decided to make for the coast because I haven't seen the sea for some time.
Half hour later and I'm on the seafront at Folkestone, parked in front of the east cliff pavilion to head down to Copt Point, a well known fossil hunting spot.
The cliffs here are mainly greensand stone.
Since the past few weeks we've had some stormy and windy weather I thought there would be a good chance the weather may have scoured the cliffs and clay and exposed some fossils.

I wasn't the only one to think that - there were two others also looking through the rock pools, exposed cliffs, and poking the clay.
Like I say, it's a well known spot for fossils.

It was also a very cold day, and being on the exposed seafront it felt even colder in the wind.

I left the cliffs alone because that's where the other two were poking around. Instead I headed out to the water's edge to see what may have been tumbled about in the surf.

And lucky me!
Here's what I came away with:
28297496689_4ccc0627a1_z.jpg

That's my freezing cold hand after it had been submerged in the even colder water.

I'm also pleased to say that my find bettered the other two chaps (we had a chat and compared findings. I was particularly pleased because they had sneered at my decision to head away from the cliffs).

There was only one way to warm up - a mug of hot chocolate.

39179176215_628f2db29e_c.jpg

And now home, with warm ruddy cheeks, and the fossil sitting on the 'curio shelf' in the study.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Nice find. I've been itching to get down to Penarth for a fossil hunt for a while now but I have to wait for work to take me near that way. I never find anything that nice up this way though, a few worn ammonites or bivalves maybe but it's still fun to look.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cool. A good idea for a day out too. As kids we used to holiday in Dorset and the Isle of Wight because my dad had an interest in stones and fossils. We'd set off with our rock hammers and find wonderful fossils, I must get out and do it again.

Having lived over 40 years on the Sussex coast, I moved only a few miles north several years ago and haven't seen the sea in ages. I must fix that before our older Jack Russell dies, she was walked on the beach every day.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've wanted to have a mooch along the well known Jurassic coast for a few years to see what I could find, have to make it happen in 2018.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE