Birch knife handle. Green or dry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fridazadilak

Oct 14, 2017
Torbay
Hi guys and girls,

I had a go at making my first knife using a Mora 2/0 blank and a curly birch block. I found it a bit small so went about removing the handle from a spare Companion to use.

I picked up a chunk of silver birch from the woodland in which I work in, would this be any good to use for a handle? I've read various things about working with the wood while green, and others say leave it to dry. I'm impatient and want a project before Christmas, shall I use this or should I just buy a block?

Attachments

• IMG_20171205_134735.jpg
    IMG_20171205_134735.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20171205_134735.jpg
    IMG_20171205_134735.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20171128_222903.jpg
    IMG_20171128_222903.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 20

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Green wood tends to move about as moisture leaves it. This means any tight fit now might end up loose later. Any flush fits may end up not so as soon as it dries.

Where as seasoned wood you know its pretty stable in shape and density so should have less chance of going wrong later on.

Reactions: Fridazadilak

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It can/will crack at the ends. You can dry the chunk in the oven, set on 100 C for a couple of hours, then cut out a piece that looks uncracked.

This is a quite fast method you should try. If the wood is water looged it will crack more than a dryish piece.
Spring birch is very water logged, winter birch kind of dryish.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
PM me your details and I'll post you a piece of seasoned birch.
The piece I'm using at the moment is slightly oval (40mm x 35mm) if that will do you; just let me know what length handle you want to make and I'll send something a few centimetres longer. It's quite plane though :)
Cheers,
Brock

Yeoman13

Nov 29, 2017
Canada
I've tried the method Mors Kochanski recommends in Northern Bushcraft whereby you can handle a screwdriver or file by pounding the tang into a birch branch that still has bark on. It will actually tighten up around the tang as it dries. I doubt it could be down with a Mora knife tang though.
If you cut the block to about the size you want and leave about a cm or two on each end to allow for spitting, it should dry rather quickly in the house, especially if near a radiator. You can "paint" the end grain with white craft paste/carpenters glue and this can help prevent end splitting.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I use birch that has been cut while fresh in my woodburner. All ends split a bit when drying. I do not think Mors' method will prevent it from cracking. Maybe if the branch is cut wintertime it will work?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Paint the cut ends with anything waterproof. Peel off the bark, maybe even split the block into rough but useful pieces.
Woods will dry, outdoors under cover, down to a moisture content of about 12-14%. About 1" per year is what carvers use.
Unlike many other hardwood species, birch doesn't harden up to much when dried.

Trying to force the drying time runs a far greater risk of stress and splitting (just where you don't want it to happen.)
The birch that I use for carving was rough cut 4-6' long x 6" wide x 2" thick. Stacked and stickered outdoors for years.
I lose about 6-8" each end due to cracks. Some carvings fit in between but most times, I just cut it off as a loss.

Fridazadilak

Oct 14, 2017
Torbay
I very kindly got a piece of seasoned birch sent to me by Broch, so I gave it a go today.

I couldn't afford a Helle blade this side of Christmas so I butchered a spare Mora and rehandled it with silver birch. Shaped it similar to the Mora so as to fit in my leather sheath, only for the bugger to split on me when the finishing touches were in sight .

I'll chalk it up to experience!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE