Anorak no 8 Fjallraven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I'm looking for something to wear over my buffalo in the winter and for the hills to keep the wind and rain off. I hate hard shell jackets as I run warm and tend to get just as soaked from sweat if I wear a hardshell.

I'm looking for something breathable and I like over the head anoraks / smocks. I have a country innovation kestrel smock in ventile but it's lined and does get very hot when trekking.

I also would use it in the woods so nothing that id be to scared of catching on a branch.

I had a look at the Hilltrek Braemar smocks and the Anorak number 8.

I'm aware the no8 would need some waxing and it wouldn't be "waterproof". But neither would the ventile...

I use vidda pro trousers so I'm aware of g1000 and waxing it etc.

Any thoughts or opinions on the above items?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The Fjallraven anorak no 8 is one of my favorites. I'd like to own one. Very nice, but way overpriced IMO. Wait for xmas sales. I'd give em 50% of what it costs. I would prefer it over a ventile smock. :yikes: Theres been a few on ebay recently.

Keep an eye out on sports pursuit where they get loads of stock in, and flog it off half price. I think they are trying to get a relationship with fjallraven.

Last edited:

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I have one and it's fantastic, water resistant out of the box and only needs re-waxing after a wash. I found the sizes for the 8 are on the large size. All my other Fjallraven jackets are a medium but found that I needed a small when I got the 8.

Reactions: Puddock

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I have one and it's fantastic, water resistant out of the box and only needs re-waxing after a wash. I found the sizes for the 8 are on the large size. All my other Fjallraven jackets are a medium but found that I needed a small when I got the 8.

Can you tell what size the small is pit to pit lying flat?

I heard they were made large but I'm not sure if I need small or CS. I think the no8 is what I'll go for. Sold some randoms items off and made about 250. So it's not a huge expense for one now. But yes. Expensive.

My mantra used to be buy cheap expendable gear. Now I buy the best I can afford.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Polecat Steve,

I've owned an FJ No8 for over two years now and after the first six months of use (3-4 days/week - spring through to autumn) I wrote a detailed review on it which the vendors weren't too keen on publishing!

The jacket (in Olive and Tarmac) is size is XXL - - but I'm definitely not - 5ft 11inch (1.82m); Chest – 45inch (114cm); Shoulder – 25inch (63cm); Sleeve 23.5inch (60cm). Waist - classified!.
I'm not interested in looking Gucci and prefer function over fashion but even with a base and midlayer and just enough comfortable room for an ex mil softie type jacket the XXL is a good fit - not overly large, so I suspect that means that they come up a bit on the small size?

In a (large-ish) nutshell it is a great, outer-working-layer (smock!) for a dry, cold climate and will fend off some degree of wind depending on what you wear beneath it - it is thin material and provides almost no heat conduction limitation.

The material is nowhere near waterproof even with copious amounts of Greenland wax - I have triple waxed mine (wax block and heat gun) and water will still come through when the body heats it up during activity and especially over the shoulders and back through rucksack wear.

The heavier grade material shoulder yoke doesn't come down far enough on the back and can lead to water seeping in just below it, accentuated when wearing a rucksack which tends to trap the water at that point.

The hood is waaay too big (pointlessly too big IMHO).

The very large neck arrangement is potentially good for ventilation but acts as a massive funnel when you are negotiating close woodland if you don't synch it up beforehand - think itchy back and ticks!

The side zips are reasonably good for ventilation but don't come right up into to the armpits.

The front kangaroo pocket is nice and large and will hold a not over-folded OS map but it is a P.I.T.A. when you have a rucksack waist or stability belt fastened as items are trapped beneath it.

The wrist adjustment tags don't tie down tight enough - I ended up removing the original FJ ones -two of which fell apart and replaced them with extra, stronger, better spaced snaps.

None of the zips are H20 proof and on the lower slash pockets the zip protectors face forward! Not good when walking into slanted rain.

The rear of the jacket is almost fish tailed and comes down well below yer cheeks! When the waist draw-cord is tightened the tail sticks out a bit shedding water well away from the back of the legs (if you have copiously waxed the lower, heavier grade G1000 section.

At 3 pounds (1.34kgs) the No8 Jacket (XXL) is relatively heavy. This is possibly a combination of the actual G1000+ material weight and the very large hood. But think-on - add wax - add more weight!
But don't mistake heavy = extra durable -the G1000 material is ‘reasonably’ strong –thorn proof to a degree especially when well waxed but barbed wire and sloe blackthorn snags will rip it! Caution when unwaxed – the material is thin! (Why no ripstop G1000 Fjallraven?)
It packs down to – a roll measuring approx 1 foot x 7 inch (30cm x 18cm) (without over-creasing)

IMHO there are several other jackets better suited to UK bush-crafting activities and nothing near the very expensive price (e.g. the Bundesheer Alpine jacket). http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135493&highlight=Best+Bushcraft+Jacket

Or might one of the members be able to knock you something similar up cheaper (and better?)

You might wonder if I still use it and why - too right I do - it is down to the colour(s) and the style of the garment.
The colour combination and the block pattern of the construction plus the none eye-catching smock style as opposed to an M65 patch pocket design makes you disappear in woodland with little effort! (I replaced the bright-ish draw cords and toggles).

However - if Ventile was produced in the same colours I would defo go to the expense of having a No8 type smock one made up from it - take note Talbot Weaving!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE