zip on a bivibag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Put it on the same side as your sleeping-bag zip :D
I've been looking, unsuccessfully, for a lightweight down bag with central zip so I can usefully put a central (quarter-length) zip on my army bag.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Pignut

I don't know if you are aware, but Endicotts in Exeter do a conversion of a Dutch bivvi bag with a zip down the side.

I have been thinking about doing this to a bivvi bag myself and what I was planning to do was sew on a flap of goretex to keep the weather off the zip at the join. I also plan to treat the zip and stitching with a seam sealer, I use Mcnetts Seamsure myself, but there are loads on the market.

I've just got to get a decent zip and I am ready to have a go.

You could always ring Endicotts and see if they would give you a few clues, they are usually pretty helpful.

Regards

Phill

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
But surely the beauty of the UK MOD GTX bag is that it's waterproof - as soon as you put a zip in it it's not.

I wouldn't dream of putting a zip in mine! I'd have got wet that last few time I've been out if mine had a zip in it.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I put a zip in mine a while ago. I got it from ebay and it was described as a 1.6m long military zip ...

23032009164.jpg

I made it so a flap of gtx covers the zip and sealed the thread holes with some silicone seam sealer. It's worked fine for me with no leaks although if going to be raining a lot I use it under a tarp/poncho.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
should have said... will only be used under a tarp. do you think velcro and flap would do? or popper and flap?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I don't know if you are aware, but Endicotts in Exeter do a conversion of a Dutch bivvi bag with a zip down the side.

I got one of these dutch bivis years ago as my first bivi bag. Not thinking I could sew a zip on, I used velcro. Worked a treat but the NOISE!

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
I put a zip on the side of mine. I got a cheap waterproof coat and cut out the zip and the storm flap all in one. then sewed it on making sure the flap is pointed down, so water runs over the zip and away... It works fine but i would have liked a longer zip, mine is only about quarter length. Oh and I added seam sealer over the sewing that I did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE