Zeer pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like a kind of posh version of the bucket of water and a wet teatowel draped in and over the edge.
Evaporation keeps the water (and the food) in the bucket cooler than the surroundings.
It was still common in my early childhood.......bucket of water under the sink with the milk bottles in it.

cheers,
M

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
The science behind the article is sound.

That said, many other materials than clay pots and wet sand could be used. It is the energy consumption of the evaporating water which keeps the items cooler than the ambient temperature.

//Kim Horsevad

Oct 24, 2011
Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Looks like a kind of posh version of the bucket of water and a wet teatowel draped in and over the edge.
Evaporation keeps the water (and the food) in the bucket cooler than the surroundings.
It was still common in my early childhood.......bucket of water under the sink with the milk bottles in it.

cheers,
M

Agreed.

My Gran had a lined pantry and no fridge until about 1986.

If one of us left the milk jug out with the cloth on top it'd go off if very hot in the kitchen/summer etc.

That milk was used to make excellent scones.

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I still use the (admitedly it's rare for milk to go sour these days) sour milk to make scones and pancakes :D

Hear, I actually got non homogenised milk last week :D Tiniest wee layer of cream formed on the top after it sat overnight.......the blighters take the cream off, 'cause that's healthy, isn't it ? :rolleyes: and then sell it to us seperately :sigh:
Are folks really stupid or did we all just get conned ?

cheers,
Mary

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I still get in un-pasteurised milk from the farm down here Mary. There's a good quarter pint of cream in every pint, yum :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE