Zebralight - the best head-light?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve only read the review on here and it looks very interesting

Have you taken the plunge yet and got one ???

Rich

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I bought two of them directly from the site www.zebralight.com paid 49 dollar (each) for them. and the shipping price was only 5 dollar. They ship directly from China. 5 days later and i received the headlights in top working order. The only problem so far is that after working 1 hour straight with max output light (66lm) the lamp is getting a bit hot. But this can be a big bonus in winter time. And as being in the militairy i don't like the glow in the dark holder for the light. But a big plus it works on a single AA and it isn't plastic.

ads677

Sep 14, 2006
Hinckley
Haven't taken the plunge yet, but buying direct from Zebralight at $49 plus shipping (about £30) seems a reasonable deal. I'd be using mine around camp and the glow in the dark holder is more of a benefit than a hindrance I would think.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I bought the H30 Q5 from Flashaholics, whose service is first rate (no connection etc.). Without question the best headlight I've ever had. It's very well made, and for the same reason as ddokkum I don't really need the glowing holder, it comes with a black one too, as well as a decent clip so the light can be used in a pocket or on MOLLE webbing.

The adjustable output is useful; I find I can read quite comfortably at the lowest setting, whilst the brightest is just the thing for late night Turdis excursions.

I went for the H30 because it uses CR123 batteries, as does my Fenix torch, but I'm sure the AA version is as good.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Ordered one for my brother some time ago, tested it as well. It's the best headlight I've yet to see for me as it's using a single AA battery, is made of metal, waterproof, strong output, good settings (low is really low, high is high, medium just in between), .. And you don't even have to wear it on your head, it works also just hanging on a necklace, clipped on a shirt pocket, etc. I would buy one if I didn't already have two fenix flashlights, which already serve all my needs having made a headstrap for them as well.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I've got one and I'm happy with it. Very light, very bright or nice and dim (to read by , for example).

But the beam is wide and doesn't throw very far (10m?). This is the way the lens is meant to be. There's a sleeve thingy which cuts down the flood. IMHO this would be the killer light if the sleeve incorporated a focusing reflector to give more throw; then you'd have the best of both worlds.

Nice to have a lamp that doesn't take 3 (why 3, when batteries come in multiples of 2???) batteries. Also nice that the standard kit contains generous spare parts plus attachments so you can experiment and rig your own holder for, say, a bicycle.

_And_ if you email Zebra they write back offering helpful advice. It just goes to compound the impression that not everything made in China is poor standard.

Praetorian

Aug 1, 2008
West Midlands, U.K.
I've upgraded from the petzl tikka XP to the petzl myo XP. I work outdoors and do a lot of night shifts, lots and lots of walking in all weathers with the most appalling underfoot conditions. Often, the only extraneous light is from the moon, stars and distant street lighting. The only beneficial light comes from whatever torch I'm carrying.

The Myo XP has 3 brightness settings + flasher, 20 second boost, focussed beam or diffused wide angle beam. Batterys last for around 80 hours on main beam.
The main beam is good for 50 - 66 metres, boost up to 90 -100. Lowest setting is good for around 15 -20 metres and is comfortable to read with, I use the lowest one for reading circuit diagrams and the main beam for walking.
Cost around £55, well worth it to me.

I couldn't recommend this piece of kit enough for someone with similar boxes to tick as myself.
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Critere=69&Produit=554

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I've just taken delivery of a Zebralight H50 Q5 straight from Zebralight in China. The low setting doesn't work. I've tried to advise Zebralight to request a replacement but the facility on their website to contact them is not working. Until this is sorted I'd advise anyone wanting one quickly, to purchase from a reputable supplier as currently there is no recourse from the manufacturer if things go wong. If this gets rectified I'll post here to let you know.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Out of interest, what happens? I mean, you keep screwing and unscrewing to cycle through the modes, starting with low. so, you screwed in and....nothing. Then unscrew and screw then mid, then repeat and high then repeat and ...nothing? How do you know that it isn't high thats missing. I've got one too and low is quite low, maybe the battery is too low to power it?

Just interested.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Out of interest, what happens? I mean, you keep screwing and unscrewing to cycle through the modes, starting with low. so, you screwed in and....nothing. Then unscrew and screw then mid, then repeat and high then repeat and ...nothing? How do you know that it isn't high thats missing. I've got one too and low is quite low, maybe the battery is too low to power it?

Just interested.

No screwing involved - the Zebralight has a pushbutton that cycles through the settings.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
The low setting sputters a bit then fades out to nothing. The medium and high are very bright. My lamp doesn't have a switch but a screw cap.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
No screwing involved - the Zebralight has a pushbutton that cycles through the settings.

Yup, just got mine and pressed the button. It went onto the low setting. Pressed it again and it went off. Puzzled, i had a little play and it only went on the low setting. Kept it pressed in and it cycled through low, medium and then painful! It went into high and i burnt my retinas! Beware, schoolboy errors can seriously damage your sight.:rolleyes:

As an aside, i got the H30-Q5 (CR123A battery) and so far i'm very impressed with the build quality and accessories. Just got to field test it now.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>The low setting sputters a bit then fades out to nothing. The medium and high are very bright. My lamp doesn't have a switch but a screw cap.

Yep, the AA version is a screw cap, the cr123 is a button, or clicky as they like to be known.

Sounds like the electronics is faulty with yours. Have you tried a different make or type of battery. Duracell against Phillips for example. I'm running mine on old camera batterys. Sometimes the contacts are a bit iffy and the light flickers a bit, but not much.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Have tried a Phillips alkaline and a Sony rechargable NiMH. Alas the fault is still there on the low setting. No joy on the website BTW - the contact function is still down. Looks like I'll have to live with it.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
That's a pity. Because the low setting is a plus point for the lamp; good enough to read by but very low consumption.

Yep, now you have to learn Cantonese to get a replacement. I don't envy you.

Have tried a Phillips alkaline and a Sony rechargable NiMH. Alas the fault is still there on the low setting. No joy on the website BTW - the contact function is still down. Looks like I'll have to live with it.

Or give them a ring - it looks as if the chaps name is 'kevin'

Name ..................... zebralight.com
Registrant Name ................. guanqun zhao
Registrant Organization ......... Zhao Guanqun
Registrant Address .............. qita
Registrant City ................. Shanghai
Registrant Province/State ....... Shanghai
Registrant Postal Code .......... 200011
Registrant Country Code ......... CN
Registrant Phone Number ......... +86.13501797344 -
Registrant Fax .................. +86.13501797344 -
Registrant Email ................ kevinzhaoguanqun@gmail.com

Cheers
SBW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE