Zebra Pots Twin Pack Woodlore @ @18

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
That's a good deal however I wonder if their sales have dropped off because of the competition from other designs?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
A good price, & to me anyway the 12cm is the best size, small enough to carry when on your own & big enough to for 2.

Rob

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Almost tempted, it would be nice if the handle was longer so that it tucked underneath the bottom of the pot, it would then stow away neater.

Anyone have alternative options for billy cans of that size?

rorymax

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
They are great pots, but I found the 12 cm one too small for serious cooking, I'd rather use my Crusader mug and carry less. :)

I prefer the 16 cm one.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Agreed, I rarely carry the 12cm pot these days preferring the 1.6L Tatonka pot and my Crusader with the heavy cover lid.
cheers
Gareth

+1 to this. I also use the Tatonka 1.6, it can do a big boy meal for one or if needed cook for two. Also the lid makes a great bowl. The crusader is also a favorite of mine along side my newly aquired Heavy Cover.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Must just be me then !, I find it a great size, I have a 14cm, which I've never used, also other pots that are larger & a tatonka, but always go back to the 12cm zebra.

Each to their own, but there must be something in what you guys that don't like them are saying, or they wouldn't be selling them off cheap !.

Rob

garethw

Settler
Must just be me then !, I find it a great size, I have a 14cm, which I've never used, also other pots that are larger & a tatonka, but always go back to the 12cm zebra.

Each to their own, but there must be something in what you guys that don't like them are saying, or they wouldn't be selling them off cheap !.

Rob

I think many of us got them because we saw Ray Mears using thel and thought "Hey they look cool!!" But personnally I found them too tall & narrow to cook and reheat food in. Most food needs to be stirred and a lower sided pot like the Tatonka I find far more practical. The wider base makes them more stable, distributes heat betterr yet they still offers the bail to hang over a fire if needs be.
The Zebra is a pain to pour hot water from, despite all the neat tricks... as the bail won't lock unless you use the plastic thingies that we all removed as they melt. They Tatonka has a locking bail...
The lid is of the Zebra is no use as a pan or a plate. I use the Tatonka lid as a plate most often and if I need a pan I can use it for that too. So not wanting to carry two pots the Tatonka wins hands down on versatilty and practicality. When coupled with a Crusader cup I can cook most types of meal when out fishing. I also carry a Trangia pot gripper which increases praticality too.

cheers
Gareth

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I found them too tall & narrow to cook and reheat food in. Most food needs to be stirred and a lower sided pot like the Tatonka I find far more practical. The wider base makes them more stable, distributes heat better yet they still offers the bail to hang over a fire if needs be.
The Zebra is a pain to pour hot water from, despite all the neat tricks... as the bail won't lock unless you use the plastic thingies that we all removed as they melt. They Tatonka has a locking bail...
The lid is of the Zebra is no use as a pan or a plate. I use the Tatonka lid as a plate most often and if I need a pan I can use it for that too..."

I hear what your saying about a less tall pot being faster to cook or re-heat food in, however because I use the 16 cm pot I don't feel the tall sides get in the way. Additionally, the tallness is handy when out foraging...

DSCF0615.JPG

...things stay in the pot, don't get squished or damaged (fungi) and if I'm fetching water the taller pot is easier to carry it in.

The handle is hopeless, not just from the pouring aspect but because it can punch holes in your pack if improperly wrapped, so i take my handles off and replace them with bike brake wire, I then use 'neat tricks' to pour from the pot.

I have used the lid as a plate and your correct it isn't ideal...

P9200089.JPG

...however I have used it as a base for baking a bannock with the pot inverted above it, something that pots with wooden or handles that are proud could not do.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE