Zebra Billy, lid clips!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Watch Ya,

Well I’ve eventually received my Zebra Billy (after ordering it in March!), they’re smashin’

But what is the point in the plastic clips to hold the lid on? What else would you use these billies for, other than heating things up? Surely they are totally over engineered for just carrying stuff.

So, like everyone else, I’ve taken them off. But then I decided to try and replace them. After designing another bit of over engineering, which would require team McLaren to fabricate, I made two clips from 4mm garden wire, which work really well.

I took some pictures that show how simple they are, but my camera won’t talk to the PC, so please excuse the rambling description.

They’re essentially a loop of wire pinched into a ‘U’ shape. The open ends of the ‘U’ are bent in at 90 degrees to go through the holes in the handle support, which allow the clip to pivot (I had to open these holes up with a file). Looking at the loop from the side, I then bent it into an ‘S’ shape, the middle being bent back towards the handle, so the handle locks into place, which in turn places some pressure on the top of the clip, which is bent forward towards the pot, to hold the lid on. They work as well as the original plastic ones.

But then it occurred to me, not having used the pot yet, when cooking with the lid on, do you want it locked? Probably not!

Anyone got an opinion based on experience of cooking with these?

Ta

AJB

Reactions: British Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I've always assumed the clips were just to keep the lid on while carrying the billy. That way you can strap it to the outside of your pack and you know it (and the contents) won't fall off/out. Using them while cooking might cause a pressure cooker effect. :eek:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I would have thought the original ones would melt off long before you built up any pressure. And they’re not designed to take them off to cook and put them back for transport!

It seems crazy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The clips tend melt off on first use on a fire if you don't remove them!

I'd love to see a photo AJB when your PC and camera are friends again!

As for ordering, be VERY careful of ordering from Stockpots ! I have just received an item that I ordered in January - and cancelled the order over 5 months ago as they couldn't supply. They have charged my card and e-mails have gone unanswered. I phoned them to be told "the only guy who knows about the internet is out of the country so we can't help. Why don't you ring back when he's back"

Fortunately my bank took a different view, but "caveat emptor" and all that and buy from someone you trust!

Red

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I know what you mean Red, I only got part of my order, they don't seem too switched on!

I'll post a pic when I get the thing to work - but it might be a while, I'll PM you.

AJB

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
The billy, as we call it, isn't a billy at all in it's original design. It's a Tai type of lunchbox. In the billy itself people carry their rice, and in the steamer (which isn't a steamer, because it lacks the holes) is used to carry sauce.

Someone just came up with the idea to use them as billies. Same way some of us carry a coffee tin as a billy.

As for the (white) plastic clips (as above mentioned by the others]:
If you take in mind the original purpose the billy was designed for, you'll understand they really do have a function. But, because we don't use it as such, they don't really have a function.

You can remove them with a screwdriver or such when you are cooking over a fire (as they have the habit of melting ;)) and carry them along so you can put them back on during transport to prevent the lid (and billy contents) gets lost in your rucksack.
Other option would be to use a piece webbing and closure thingy to keep things on place.

Hope this helps
:approve: ;)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Are – a rational explanation, thank you very much.

So they are essentially a different design of a Tiffin Box (which I also got from them a while back at a bargain price using the eBay wheeze someone suggested)

Thanks a lot

AJB

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
The style is called a Loop handle pot. Interestingly they seem to sell two versions - one standard and one that is called "Auto-lock" It may be that we have all been supplied with the latter?

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
I have heard that there were earlier versions of the zebra cans that may very well have come with brass versions of these plastic clips ...

I've never actually seen one first hand tho', so it may just be a kinda bush version of an urban myth ...

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
A couple of people have asked me for the picture, there not great but I’m happy to send via email.

I don’t have a full membership (I don’t know why, I need to sort that out!) so I can’t post them on the site, but if anyone wants to do it for me that’s cool.

AJB

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
AJB,

You don't need full membership to post a picture mate. Just upload the picture to imageshack or photobucket or any of the other hosting services. This will give you a web address for the image. Use the icon that looks like a yellow mountain on the advanced reply form and paste the web address for the image in - done!

All that said, if you would like me to stick em on here for you mate, I'll do it no probs (have to wait till I get home though)

Red

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Red,

Yep, I’ve seen it done, but never investigated it, as I only got my first digital camera last week (I’m old school and have been resisting it for years). I don’t have time to do sort it out today, but if people want to see them, and you’ve got time tonight, you could bang ‘em on if you would.

Ta

AJB

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The piccies! :D - so simple and as they say a picture is worth.......

zebraclip.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE