Zebra Billies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
At the moment I cook over open fires with the pans from a Military trangia, but I notice that many people here use stainless steel Zebra billies.

Could sombody tell me what makes them stand out from the rest please? :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
A good question. I have two. One's modded like this one, the other I use for car camping. They're cheap, sturdy and easy to clean. I use the "steamer" bowl as a plate/bowl.

When all's said and done though, a billy is a billy is a billy. If you're just boiling water, you can do the same job with an empty baked bean tin and a length of wire coat hanger.

Oh. And RM uses them. Obv. :lmao:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a 12cm billy, i havent had the chance to use it much but over the times i have used it, it works great
leon

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
They do look great arite.... I was gonna get one, but last night I made two of my own.

I just got a stainless steel coffee can, put two holes in each side, and made a wire hanger for it. I did the same with an aluminium camping pot I've been using. I'm quite happy with them now so I'll leave the zebras for sometime in the future!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ditto Floyd Soul, I use coffee cans from TKMaxx got three different sizes and use them as needed.

This shows the handle that I made out of welding rod.
nettle_soup_and_fish7.jpg

And this one shows it hanging, you can see the setup, although it’s a bit of an obscured juxtaposition with the wood on wood.

nettle_soup_and_fish8.jpg

The smaller pots I made have a double twisted strand handle and a single strand handle. They cook fine, they’re durable and they’re cheap. :D

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
scanker said:
One's modded like this one, the other I use for car camping.
Thanks thats an Interesting idea, and sory for being thick but what does it give you? :confused:

I take it the wire is not of the galvanised persuassion?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve always used a couple of Bulldog billies which I inherited from my big bruv. I think they`re about 20 years old now and a funny shade of brown :confused: but still do the job perfectly. I think they`re made of aluminium and can still be sourced on ebay etc.

F

faolin little wolf

i've used a couple of billies and a zebra is oka but if your looking for a more versitile cook pot try the norwegen army tranger (at least i think its noweigen)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Zodiak said:
Thanks thats an Interesting idea, and sory for being thick but what does it give you? :confused:

I take it the wire is not of the galvanised persuassion?
Mine's braided steel wire of the sort that bicycle brake cables are made from - they sell it by the metre in B&Q for up and over garage doors.

What does it give you...another good question. You get rid of the rigid bale arm, which I find tends to get in the way a bit, but you do need to find a pot/gripper to have some sort of handle. The wire replaces the bale arm that was removed, so you can still use the billy over a fire.

faolin little wolf said:
i've used a couple of billies and a zebra is oka but if your looking for a more versitile cook pot try the norwegen army tranger (at least i think its noweigen)
Close. Swedish Army Trangia.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
faolin little wolf said:
Thats what I use now :)

Do you know the fry pan handle "trick? " Put the rings up and force a 1" diam. 12" long stick in them and use that as a handle to avoid getting your hands burnt. Awesome. :p

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cant work out how to post a link but slap nesting billie tins into ebay, theres a set for £15. Good quality come with handles suitable for suspension and you get a good frying pan / plate with each one! Good as well cos ya can carry which ever one suits the size of your group. Used my set for about a year, great quality!

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
scanker said:
Close. Swedish Army Trangia.

Close, :D
... if it´s the Enmanskök.
Maybe it´s Trangia, maybe SVEA, maybe HP,....
NC63 ....
M40 or M44: alu or st/st
www.soldf.com/enmanskok.html

If it´s one of the more powerful ranger stoves (Jägarkök) it´ll be most probably an Optimus 77 (which also has a lot of cousins, the youngest of them beeing the No.91 Thor ...)
www.soldf.com/jagarkok.html

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
as a stove collector I´ve got my Optimus No. 91 Tor/Purple Flame. It´s indeed one of the best ever made meth. stoves money can buy.
One stove just for the collectors box would IMHO the Simon stove: heavy and thirsty.

Other meth. stoves I´ve got so far: Optimus Tor, Trangia T27, Trangia T28 mini, homemade Westwind copy, Simon stove, Trangia and Svea Enmanskök both in st/st, Tatonka made Trangia burner copy in st/st, Enders bulky stove, several homemade stoves, Esbit in different sizes and some dust collecting kerosene stoves

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE