Yurt - so far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Hello, we're just back from a week in St Andrews in the yurt, still going strong... We didnt have an special skills, the woodworking involved was straightforward, the canvas work was more difficult, but we did a lot of "measuring twice" before cutting...

The book I used was the complete yurt handbook, paul king... I think there is a revised edition out.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Wow. Great to see someone make one & post it up on here. I have bought the book & want to make one myself but dont have the time/space at the moment. I am toying with doing all the woodwok stuff over the winter as a project & my sewing is starting to get better so I could try the cover in a bit. Well done & thanks for sharing.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
For up to 11ft you can make a Chorama duh (not sure of spelling).

The main difference between these and a yurt is the lack of a 'wheel' in the centre, and the walls.

Instead of a wheel, the poles come together and are joined. One common technique is to use copper pipe over the end of the poles, leave 2.5" sticking past end of pole, hammer flat. Drill a hole through the flat bits and bolt all poles together.

The walls are made of a series of triangles /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\, joined with pipe and bolt just like the apex of the roof. Roof poles connect to the apex of the triangles. for greater strength you can add horizontal pieces joining the apex of triangle top and bottom.

Not as strong as a yurt, but uses much less timber. Can be easier to put up.

helenc

Jan 6, 2012
ireland
Hi

I live in Ireland and my partner and I have made a 16 foot yurt with the help of a local carpenter..... we had it up for a while but rodents ate holes in the back of the plastic skirt which had a woven backing - so I need to replace it......... could I ask where you bought the plastic material for the skirting as i am having bit of trouble sourcing any here

ps your yurt looks great!

thanks!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Hello, the plastic was a heavy duty tarpaulin from Costco... I don't think it a
had a particular branding on it, it was a fair bit thicker than the usual blue/green tarps..
Good to hear that you've made a yurt! Please put a pic up if possible...
atb JohnC

helenc

Jan 6, 2012
ireland
Thanks John - think maybe i should be in hardware stores rather than fabric ones for this plastic..... I will try post a pic of our yurt...C:\Users\S\Pictures\yurt

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks John - think maybe i should be in hardware stores rather than fabric ones for this plastic..... I will try post a pic of our yurt...C:\Users\S\Pictures\yurt

No that isn't working, there are lots of image hosting sites out there, you could try this one...

https://imgur.com/

Follow the instructions and you will be presented with several ways to share your image, the one you want is the link that appear below...

BBCode (message boards & forums)
http://i.imgur.com/m4P71.png

m4P71.png

Which will be similar to the link above but with IMG in square brackets on each side. Paste that link into a post and your Yurt picture will appear. :)

Last edited:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Some little folding shelves would look good around the walls John, to keep odds and ends off the floor. A simple oblong of plywood with two long strings on one side and two short strings on the other. Tie the short strings to the khana wall where you want the shelf, and tie the longer strings a foot or so above, so the shelf juts out at right angles to the wall. Some pine quadrant glued round the edge will stop stuff rolling off, and it'll pack away to nowt.

Eric

Another nifty way of storing smaller items is just to tuck them into the roof beams - I 'lost' many an item in those, having not realised the family I was living with were storing some of my belongings in the beams to keep them out of harms way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE