Yurt for the 21stC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
While doing some research on temporary structures I found the below site. I'm not suggesting that it's a yurt anyone here would use, but I found the use of bamboo for the structure interesting. What do you think.
www.thenomadyurt.com

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think at $8000 its a bit yuppy market, good luck to them if they can sell them.

As for bamboo I think its a great idea. Light, strong, fast growing renewable resource and far more rot resistant than UK hardwoods. I saw a great bamboo yurt once that was much more like the traditional design...this one looks more like a geodesic dome to me and doesn't have the benefit of upright walls. The one I saw was great in that the side walls and roof were all attached together by flexible thongs rather than having to put up side walls then tie in roof poles individually. The whole thing went up in 5 minutes. Drawbacks were bamboo is difficult to drill for the fixings and it was a big bundle of 4 foot poles to transport.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes, that looks great but way overpriced for what it is-as robin said; a geodesic dome.
I can see a definite market in California for groovy, totally laid back types,although they would need well paid day jobs to afford it!;)

Theres a lad called Ian Greenwood up here, who makes and sells more traditional yurts. His have the proper concertina type folding walls and are covered with army surplus canvas! I think they were priced at around £100 a foot, so for example; a 12 footer would cost £1200 and so on.
I mooted the idea of commissioning one for the Friends of Chopwell Wood but failed to convince the rest of the committee! probably just as well really:rolleyes:

anyway looks good-too pricey

regards
R.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the concept and I do like the way the poles work too. However, way to expensive.

Fiona and I made one with bamboo, like the idea Robin mentions, but we just used the red elastic bands the postie keeps dropping all over the place, to hold them in place and it worked brilliantly :D it was only 3m diam. though, and just under 2m at the centre (we're only 5' 2" so that was ample for us )

cheers,
Toddy

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Well, their marketing department might call it a Yurt, but it sure ain't one. Some parts are "inspired" by a traditional ger or yurt, but the rest is from that old hippy "dome culture" stuff.

Yeah, they are just marketing it to all those old hippies who "sold out", got big paying jobs, and now want to re-live a bit of the past.

But that's just my humble opinion. Take it as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE