Yukon River Adventure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Hi! Everyone,

Sorry, it's taken so long to post my trip down the Yukon River with "Bushcraft Yukon". I've tried to upload pictures to this post. But, I'm just not tech savvy enough. So I've added a link to “BushcraftUSA Forum” with the Trip Report. The link follows.

One thing for sure this was a FANTASTIC Trip! If "Bushcraft Yukon" has another trip next year, I'm gonna try and do both weeks. If I can swing the time away from work.

I'm posting my write up for you to read.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/yukon-river-adventure.206122

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Reactions: buckfynn

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Yukon River Wilderness Canoe Trip

I’ve been back from the Yukon Territory in Canada, from a canoe trip down the Yukon River with “Bushcraft Yukon” for a couple of months. But haven’t had a chance to post my trip report. So here it is.

Everyone calls Alaska the last frontier. The people say this, haven’t been to the Yukon. Alaska has a total area of 663,268 sq. miles with a population of 743,812. That’s one person to every 0.89 of a sq. mile. Even removing the population of Anchorage, in which is 301,010. That still comes out to one person every 1.5 sq. miles. Alaska has 148 towns, settlements and cites listed on “Wikipedia”. Now let’s look at the true last frontier in North America. The Yukon has a total area of 186,272 sq. miles with a population of 35,874. That computes to 1 person every 5.19 sq. miles in the Yukon. Seventy-Eight percent (27,889 people) of the population of the Yukon lives in the City of Whitehorse, within a 3,277.59 sq. mile area. That computes to 78% of the population in only 2% of the land mass of the Yukon. That now comes out to one person every 22.91 sq. miles. The Yukon Territory has 8 towns, settlements and cites listed on “Wikipedia”. Being a Canadian I didn’t know this myself. That’s a lot of WILDERNESS to play in. So, I’ve finished my “James A Michener” similar introduction to the area of the trip.

On to the Wilderness Canoe Trip.

On Saturday, June 10th

I flew into Whitehorse and was meet at the airport by Fabian. We did a little running around in Whitehorse then a 50 minute drive to Bushcraft Yukon’s base of operations. Bushcraft Yukon base of operations is located in a beautiful spot in the boreal forest, with pine, spruce and aspen trees in abundance. The weather was unseasonably warm at 34c or 93f for this time of year. Fabian helped me with my gear down to the primitive camping area to set up for the night. The other adventures, in which arrived a week earlier, for a week of Bushcraft and survival training with Bushcraft Yukon. These gentalmen were out on a road trip to Haines, and a hike in Kluane National Park and Reserve. After setting up my tent and getting my sleeping pad and bag set up. I took a little break seeing I’d been on the go for 12 hours already. I made a Koolyomka Trap Trigger to show the others a different trigger. By now it was time for dinner so I proceeded up to the house and had dinner with Fabian and Claudia.

It’s hard to get used to almost continuous sun light. The time was almost 11 PM and it was still bright out. I was getting tired so off to the tent for a night’s sleep.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Sunday, June 11th

Up at 5 AM to beautiful sunshine and high winds. Breakfast wasn’t until 7:30 so I did a little exploring and made a rack to air out my sleeping bag. The other gentlemen didn’t get back from their hike until late so they were sleeping in. I headed up to Fabian and Claudia’s for some much needed coffee and breakfast. Sunday was our down day. Checking gear, putting our gear in dry bags supplied by Bushcraft Yukon. Forgot my fishing license so back to Whitehorse, got to have a fishing license! Met the rest of our Party. Sebastien and Denis from Germany and Marc from England. Being bushcrafter’s, we hit it off right away. Talking about knives, sleep shelters and bushcrafting in general. The day flew by. The next thing it was dinner and time for bed. Early start for our Yukon River Adventure.

Monday, June 12th

Up at 4am for an early start. We had to get packed up and down to Lake LaBerge as early as we can before the winds pick up. Lake LaBerge is 31 miles long (50 Km) and maximum of 3 miles wide (5 km) running roughly North northwest. The winds come out of the South or North most of the time. So we wanted to get across to the eastside before we get the big waves. The weather was cool and overcast. Perfect for the lake crossing.

The winds started out of the just light out of the southeast. We were protected by the winds by Richthofen Island. From our launch site to the east shore we had about a 6 mile (10 km) crossing.

When we cleared the north tip of Richthofen Island the winds had picked up out of the south and we had only small waves. About half way across the open water the winds picked up and the waves started cresting. Time to get to the east shore! We took a couple of breakers in the crossing. When we stopped on the east shore I took 3 gallons of water out of the canoe, that even with bailing during the crossing.

Back on the water to see how far we could make it. We paddled for a couple of hours then took a lunch break.

Then a few hours and 25 miles (40 km) we stopped for our first night within site of the Yukon River. Fabian cooked a pasta dinner for us. With the chatting around the fire, I didn’t realize it was 10pm. Even with the overcast and rain it was still light out.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Tuesday, June 13th, 2017

Awoke at 5am to RAIN. Packed my gear and left it in my tent. Went to start the fire, but Dennis was already up with the fire going but no coffee on. So got the water on to boil, but couldn’t find the centre for the percolator. So made cowboy coffee using the drop method. I need my morning coffee! By the time Dennis and I had our second cup. Everyone else showed up. A quick breakfast of granola and yogurt, then load the canoes on the water for 8am.

A short 2 mile paddle and we stopped just in the mouth of the Yukon River at the first wood cutter site for the paddle wheelers that traveled the river during the Yukon gold rush. There were some old log cabins and we did a little fishing for Grayling. Cut a couple of Grayling and then back on the river.

A couple of miles down the river and Fabian took us into an eddy for some real Grayling fishing. It took a few casts. But when we found the right spot we were getting fish almost every cast. Raining too hard and having too much fun to take pictures. After an hour of catching Grayling we were back on the river. Now it was really raining hard.

We paddled down river until noon then stopped for lunch and to dry out! Emptied a gallon and a half of rain water, from the canoe.

My wools worked great! But got heavy with rain, though I never was cold. The area that the water seem to accumulate in was my crotch. After lunch had to try fishing again. More Grayling.

Everyone kept one Grayling to have for dinner.

We stopped at 17 Mile Wood Camp was a very nice spot and the rain had stopped.

Fabian’s plan for today was 25 miles (40 km) too many stops with the rain and stopping at all the likely fishing spots we didn’t make it.

Fabian stated if we pushed it hard for another 90 minutes there was a great camp site. He knew what he was talking about. We made our 25 miles (40 km)! Baked and fried Grayling with veggies and roasted banana boats for dessert.

Sun is out and it’s a beautiful evening! Midnight, still bright and the birds are still singing. Been writing in my journal by the natural light outside, time for bed.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017

Up again at 5am. Sore all over!! Went back to sleep till 6:30am. Packed up then got the fire and coffee going. Found the basket this time for the percolator. Fabian got to the fire at 7am and started breakfast of Sausage, onions, bacon and eggs in one pot. High Protien :cool:

Back on the river by 9am. The sun’s out and the sky is blue. Perfect! We paddled and fished all the eddies. We stopped in Hootalinqua Bay to try for Northern Pike. I had a GREAT time on my 4 lbs light spinning set up. One of the Jacks I hooked pulled us around the bay for 15 minutes until I lost it when it jumped by the boat. Still a nice stringer of 8 lb Pike for dinner.

At this spot in the above picture. Was a icy stream coming in. I’ve NEVER had my feet burn from stepping in cold water until this time. Here the Teslin River meets the Yukon and it starts getting wider.

Our next stop was just around the corner at Shipyard Island were they would dry dock a sternwheeler in the winter. To move freight on the Yukon River in the spring because Lake LaBerge stayed frozen long after the river opened. The SS Evelyn was hauled ashore in the fall of 1913 and is still there today.

Back on the river but need to make up time to get in our 25 miles (40 km). So we tied the boats together as we drifted had lunch.

We continued down the river until 6:30pm and stopped for the night at Big Eddy Wood Camp.

Fried and baked Northern Pike and pasta primavera for dinner. Great food and another long day. With the sun up for so long, it’s hard to know what time it is. Off to bed at 11:30pm.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Thursday, June 15th, 2017

Cold this morning! Up at 5am, stuck my arms out of the sleeping bag to stretch, it was COLD! Stayed in my bag reading until 6:30am. Had to get up couldn’t hold it any longer. Cold, rain and fog. Got the fire and coffee going to warm up. Dennis showed up and we talked and drank coffee. Made another pot of coffee then Fabian and Sabastian showed up at 7:30. Fabian started breakfast of French Toast.

We packed up in the rain and were on the river before 10am. The river is faster here. A little more leisurely paddling. We had sun and showers all day. Stopped where the Big Salmon River enters the Yukon at the old Big Salmon Village.

Back on the river for a couple of hours. With the increased flow we made good time and got in our 25 miles (40 km) to the next camp site. This was a beautiful spot sitting on a 15 foot high bank overlooking the river. We got here at 4:30pm so took our leisure at setting up. Some even took a afternoon nap.

For dinner Fabian prepared Galosh and peach cobbler. As you can see, we were really roughing it on meals.:) We went from beautiful blue skies and sun to a down pour by the time dinner was ready. It was good Fabian had a 20 x 30 tarp we put up earlier. The rain stopped and we talked by the fire until 10pm. Then I said my good nites and off to an early bed. This has been a great trip. I can’t wait until my daughter and sun get into their teens. Then I’ll bring them up so they can experience this gorgeous wilderness.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Friday, June 16th, 2017

Woke again at 5am to rain and went back to sleep until 6. Still raining. At 7:15 it was still raining. Got up packed and got the fire and coffee going. Dennis, Sabastian and Fabian were at the fire by 7:45, Fabian got breakfast started of scratch pancakes. We talked and stayed under the tarp out of the rain until the pancakes were ready. Called out to Marc and received a couple of grunts, until he joined us about 8:30. We took our time because of the rain, but finally had to get packed up and on the river. Late start 11 am. We paddled for an hour in the rain, then stopped to try fishing for Grayling. First time we got skunked on the trip. We paddled on for a couple more hour until we got to a small island across from the Little Salmon Village just downstream from where the Little Salmon enters the Yukon. Had sandwiches with wild onions picked on the beach.

Fabian gave us the option of going to a nice camping spot close by with a long paddle the final day. Or a longer paddle to a not so nice camp site with a short paddle the final day. We chose the nice site.

For our final dinner we had hearty lentil soup from scratch. It was fantastic! By the time we finished dinner and cleaned up the rain had stopped. So Marc and I grabbed our rods to see if there were any fish.

I caught 8 Northern Pike in 11 casts. One Pike I caught had horns.

When the fish quit biting. Marc and I headed back to the fire with everyone else and talked until 12am. The light has been the same all day. Wrote in my journal by natural light in my tent before I crashed for the night.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Saturday, June 17th, 2017

Up again at 5am to a beautiful sunny morning. It rain over night and the group tarp was touching the ground filled with water. Got the fire started and the coffee going. Then I untied one side of the tarp and emptied all the water. Everyone was up early for the five hour push to the take out point. We packed up. Ate a quick granola and yogurt. Then on the river for 8am.

Beautiful last day on the Yukon River. The sun was out and no wind. Perfect for paddling.

At 1pm we showed up at Carmacks where we met Claudia for our return. To “Bushcraft Yukon’s” home base.

The canoes were loaded then we stop at the burger shop at the Carmacks pick spot for Cheese burger and ice cream. When we were done we had a 2 hour drive back to “Bushcraft Yukon’s” home base. Set up our tents and had a shower. Again Fabian and Claudia made a good dinner for us. Then we socialized the rest of the evening.

Next morning breakfast then pack up for our trip into Whitehorse. I spent the last afternoon and evening in Whitehorse sightseeing and enjoying my last day in the Yukon.

This was a wonderfully trip! I will for sure will go back again with “Bushcraft Yukon”! Fabian & Claudia treated us fantastic.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Great report checkmate...
But....

No pictures????😱😵😲
😞

Edit:

Also hope Marc (Valetudoguy) is alright? We haven't heard from him since the Yukon trip ... Did he make it back? Or just moved out to the wilderness? 😁

Last edited:

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Great report checkmate...
But....

No pictures????😱😵😲
😞

Edit:

Also hope Marc (Valetudoguy) is alright? We haven't heard from him since the Yukon trip ... Did he make it back? Or just moved out to the wilderness? 😁

Hey! Leshy,

I tried to post the pictures. But I'm just not tech savy. Tried a few thing and it didn't work. If you want to see the pic's. Check out the link in the first post.

As to Marc (Valetudoguy) I haven't heard from him since just after we all got home. I'm gonna send him an email just to see how he is.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hey! Leshy,

I tried to post the pictures. But I'm just not tech savy. Tried a few thing and it didn't work. If you want to see the pic's. Check out the link in the first post.

As to Marc (Valetudoguy) I haven't heard from him since just after we all got home. I'm gonna send him an email just to see how he is.
Thanks
I'll check the links out .
👍
Best regards

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Looks like a great trip ! Only thing with the pics on there is you have to join buschcraftusa before you can view them properly. There is a tutorial for posting pics on here somewhere, I should read it too :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
To post pictures on this forum, in the same way that they were posted on BCUSA, one has to be a BCUK Full Member. I have always preferred to have my photos on a separate photo hosting site, that way I can post them on multiple forums and everyone can see them without having to be signed up members. I know there are other options, but I use Flikr now and am happy with how it works. There is a tutorial in the How Do I? sub forum.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77526&p=1828734#post1828734

Super trip. Thanks for sharing. Is a tempting thought for next year!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't tallied it all up, but the impression that I have, from reading your account, was that you had to push pretty hard every day to do your mileage. Was there every a time/place where you would have liked a gap day to stay in one place, leave camp set up and explore around?

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
I haven't tallied it all up, but the impression that I have, from reading your account, was that you had to push pretty hard every day to do your mileage. Was there every a time/place where you would have liked a gap day to stay in one place, leave camp set up and explore around?

Hi! C_Claycomb,

It wasn't that much paddling seeing the river averages from 10 to 12 kilometers and hour. There was lots of time stopping to sightsee and fish. The three other guys had already spent a week practicing their bushcrafting skills. In the evenings around the fires I did a little carving. It might have been nice to have a down day. But then we wouldn't have seen as much of the river. This was all wilderness. We could've been picked up at Little Salmon which was 40 or so kilometers shorter. But, we traveled all that way what was a little more paddling.

jmorgan

Jul 26, 2017
Tampa, Florida
Oh wow, it really is an astonishing view that you get to capture. There are only a few people. It seems like you have enjoyed being one with nature a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE