Yukon Firebox

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Has anyone tried one of these and do they work well? I see they are available as "heavy duty", "light duty" and "titanium". Any views on the difference, other than weight and thickness of panels, between the heavy and light versions - would warping be an issue?

Appreciate any views

Thanks, Paul

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got the titanium Yukon Paul, a nice bit of kit. I went for the heavy gauge ti as I thought there might be some warping issues, so far I've only used it a handful of times but it's still as straight as the day I bought it. I got mine just before Chris let for Canada but I understand he does a really good rate on shipping.

Even though mine is titanium it's still quite heavy, it's up in the loft at the moment but I can get it down and weigh it for you tomorrow if you like.

There's a piccy of mine in this thread, that was it's first outing so it's still shiney, after the first burn it went a stunning blue colour from the heat.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have a titanium version as well, (1.25kg) and I reckon it works well, but then again its largely just a very expensive tin box with some holes in it. The titanium warps less than stainless steel, and if you spend a lot of time near the coast is will last longer than stainless steel. (stainless and chlorine don't mix well)

Mine has the thin rods that go across the top, and they are a pain, as they keep on rolling off and into the fire, the new ones come with thicker rods. I also would like it a little longer, but that apart, its a nice piece of kit.

Graham

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I've got a heavy duty version with the top plate for my kelly kettle. I think it's great. It packs up nice and small and it's really versatile but it does benefit from the addition of a wire rack for the top. The heavy duty version is as the name suggests not light but as I use it mainly for car camping or when out in the canoe then the weight isn't really an issue for me.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have two of the standard stainless models. They are superb. Grille wires aren't very good and need to be replaced with a Homebase small kitchen trivet (£5) which is a perfect fit and also fits inside the carry-case ! The two Yukons can combo up to form a large firebox (especially if using the Homebase large kitchen trivet).

They are not really for backpacking - go for something like the Honey stove for that.

Last edited:

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
I've got the titanium Yukon Paul, a nice bit of kit. I went for the heavy gauge ti as I thought there might be some warping issues, so far I've only used it a handful of times but it's still as straight as the day I bought it. I got mine just before Chris let for Canada but I understand he does a really good rate on shipping.

Even though mine is titanium it's still quite heavy, it's up in the loft at the moment but I can get it down and weigh it for you tomorrow if you like.

There's a piccy of mine in this thread, that was it's first outing so it's still shiney, after the first burn it went a stunning blue colour from the heat.

Thanks Shewie - no need to weigh it, might go for the lightweight as it will only get occasional use and the Ti is out of stock. Might put a wanted post up...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE