yucca plant advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ok whilst not Bushcraft it is flora and I don't know where else to ask.
I have a yucca plant that I had since university so it's at least 17 years old.
edevejy3.jpg

As you can see it's drooping a bit and the canes are not really holding the weight.

So can I trim the branches back ok?

Any other ideas to make it a happier plant?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I had one of those and when it got too leggy I just cut the top off and stuck it in a pot to grow by itself.

The main stem will sprout new growth is it already is on yours and the cut stem will either take or die. If it takes you have a new plant to grow on. If it dies you still have the main plant with the new growth coming along nicely :)

As for making it happier when was the last time you changed the soil it's growing in? All pot plants appreciate a bit of fresh compost to grow in so looking at pulling it out its pot in the spring, trimming the rootball back a bit and repotting it in either the same pot or a slightly larger with fresh new compost will make it very happy :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you cut the stem do you need to cap it? If so with what?

I never bothered with it though I've often seen ones in garden centres capped with a hard waxy substance

Mine lived for quite a while with that treatment until the ex wife took it with her and killed it in a couple years :censored:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE