Ypur favourite 10 woodland plants?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
What would be your top 10 woodland plants?

They can be either for food or use, up to you.

Lest see your lists and why

Mar 14, 2014
USA
This will be a very interesting thread. I am going to have to give it a lot of thought. I will post what I come up with. Being from the USA, mine may be a bit different than yours. It will be interesting to compare

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In no particular order:

-Hickory tees (great shade, excellent for hunting squirrels or deer, great firewood/cooking wood)
-Oak trees (same as for hickory)
-Pine trees (love the sound of the wind in the treetops, old stumps are where you find lightard, great cash crop)
-Magnolias (Great shade and smell)
-Cedar trees (good windbreak, great bug repellant)
-Sassafras Trees (the only source of file, and also the only source for the roots to brew real sassafras tea)
-Blackberries
-Huckleberries/Blueberries
-Muscadines
-Pitcher Plants

Mar 14, 2014
USA
White Oak Quercus alba
beautiful lumber for furniture, very stately specimen tree for large open areas, lot of acorns for food for many different animals

Black Walnut Juglans nigra
popular wood for lumber and gun stocks, squirrels love the nuts and so do I

Wild Black Cherry Prunus serotina
another beautiful lumber for furniture, fruit is an important food for many different birds

Easteran Red Cedar Juniperus virginiana
unique red color wood of any tree in my area, good nesting tree for birds

Blackberries Rubus sp.
blackberry cobbler, what more can I say!

Dogbane Apocynum cannabinum
fibers from this plant make very strong cordage

Milkweed Asclepias sp.
another good cordage plant, leaves are an important food for Monarch Butterfly caterpillars

Butterfly weed Asclepias tuberosa
this plant is grown for its beautiful bright orange flowers, it is one of my favorite summer wildflowers

Trillium Trillium sp.
there are many species of this plant in my area, they are some of my favorite early spring wildflowers

Persimmon Diospyros virginiana
fruit ripens in late fall, I like to eat them right off the tree, they also make wonderful persimmon pudding and persimmon cookies, they are eaten by many animals

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE