Youtube typecast!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Have you guy's noticed that everytime you check out a bit of youtube bushcraft related stuff, you end up with a load of conspiracey theory/rambo survivalism nonsense in the righthand recommended column! It's very disconcerting i feel.. Especially when I see bushcraft as a legitamate environmental activity. It's not going to do much for bushcraft (think, prospective land owners/buddies you want to show what we do/wives/employers/employees/parents of youngsters etc.) I suppose it's just a computery thing, but it is rather annoying! Why do I want Nazi pyramids under the antarctic related to ray mears skinning a moose????? Maybe it's just me? Maybe I shouldn't go on youtube after a couple of glasses of wine!:pirate:
Peace.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The few I've seen contain somebody talking for ten minutes or longer to show something that takes five seconds to do.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Google(which is youtube) suggested feature and search features are based upon the searches of other people. Typically if you go on a bushcraft video, suggested videos will be more bushcraft videos. However if someone wants to survive a zombie apocalypse so visits a bushcraft channel and immediately watch some cheesy documentary about Nazi's or the Illuminati or something it will appear in your suggested videos. It sounds strange but I can assure you a lot of people look up bushcraft videos (particularly the more popular ones or ones given easy to understand titles i.e. 'Best Axe!!!!' rather than a 'review of xxx axe') do so entirely because they buy into world conspiracy theories... chemtrails, jews, alien queen of Britain etc and want to prepare themselves for the collapse of society.
And by them I mean those awesome Americans ;)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
As has been said its all about the links. Bushcraft video viewers in the USA tend to be Republicans who are also very religious this leads to all sorts of sub culture interests that are nothing like what the average European Bushcrafter is into.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually they've changed their 'suggestions' now. Now it's based on YOUR own previous personal search history and has nothing to do with what others have searched.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As has been said its all about the links. Bushcraft video viewers in the USA tend to be Republicans who are also very religious this leads to all sorts of sub culture interests that are nothing like what the average European Bushcrafter is into.

Not sure where you're getting you info. But it's wrong. Most viewers in the US (of 'bushcraft' videos) are tree huggers. But you are right in one thing; they (the tree huggers) are the sub culture.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I use youtube a lot for blacksmithing related "how to's" - 8/10 times some one has done a video about what you want to make.

Its a very useful resource these days. :pirate:

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Actually they've changed their 'suggestions' now. Now it's based on YOUR own previous personal search history and has nothing to do with what others have searched.

Is it really? When did this happen? I believe it changes your suggested based upon your google+ circles as well now.
But I agree with prester its a subculture most prevalent in the USA. It happens here in the UK tho I could tell you some stories!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is it really? When did this happen? I believe it changes your suggested based upon your google+ circles as well now.
But I agree with prester its a subculture most prevalent in the USA. It happens here in the UK tho I could tell you some stories!

It's been that way quite a while over here. (the suggestions)

As to the 'subculture' I'd hardly refer to 68.5% of the popiulation as the subculture. Probably a conservative number; around 50% Republican and at least 87% religious (including the vast majority of Democrats) for a cosolidated number of 68.5%

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
It's been that way quite a while over here. (the suggestions)

As to the 'subculture' I'd hardly refer to 68.5% of the popiulation as the subculture. Probably a conservative number; around 50% Republican and at least 87% religious (including the vast majority of Democrats) for a cosolidated number of 68.5%

I wonderabout those figures and how much weighting there is from peer pressure and fear of deviating from the norm. A 2008 poll for example, "One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling."[SUP] [/SUP]

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Not sure where you're getting you info. But it's wrong. Most viewers in the US (of 'bushcraft' videos) are tree huggers. But you are right in one thing; they (the tree huggers) are the sub culture.

Of all the review channels and how to channels I go to on Youtube only two are tree huggers the rest are pretty much hardliners. I can't get my head around the way some of them think at all, but a good knife review is a good knife review the same goes for shelter building and other camping related videos. Because I share a common interest with them I end up getting some quite strange recommendations. The sub cultures I had in mind were not that they were right wing God botherers it was more the stuff that they can be into such as conspiracy theories, Armageddon, and Obama is a Marxist Muslim etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wonderabout those figures and how much weighting there is from peer pressure and fear of deviating from the norm. A 2008 poll for example, "One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling."

Yes you're right. Most are "unaffilliated." However the polls are done anoymously so I don't see peer pressure entering into it. Being "uaffiliated" with a particular church is a long way from being "un-religious." And those anonymous polls have more that 87% of the population identifying themselves as religious. Rather like you say some people might well go to church due to peer pressure bu that doesn't make them religious; likewise NOT going to or JOINING any particular church (also often due to peer pressure) doesn't make them unreligious. Over here, religion is often a private thing. Although I'll grant there are indeed a good number of hypocrites.

If you go to "Sperlings Best Places" online you can get a breakdown by individual cities showing complete demographics: Religious affilliation, voter habits, crime rates, ethnicity, average age, etc. As well as climate and number of doctors per population and teachers per student, average salary, percentage of home ownership, cost of living compared to the national average, tax base and rates, etc. However as I believe Sperling's gets their info (on religious afflliation) from registered church memberships, it just might show bias from peer pressure.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Of all the review channels and how to channels I go to on Youtube only two are tree huggers the rest are pretty much hardliners. I can't get my head around the way some of them think at all, but a good knife review is a good knife review the same goes for shelter building and other camping related videos. Because I share a common interest with them I end up getting some quite strange recommendations. The sub cultures I had in mind were not that they were right wing God botherers it was more the stuff that they can be into such as conspiracy theories, Armageddon, and Obama is a Marxist Muslim etc.

I knew the ones you were talking about. My statements stand; many of those aren't the subculture but rather the mainstream here. Probably not the conspiracy thoeries but DEFINITELY the Obama theories are mainstream.

You're quite right that their views are completely different to the average European though. TBH the average American thinks of the average European as somewhat Marxist.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE