YouTube kit review advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi guys and gals,

I am planning on doing a series of video reviews covering knives, axes, green wood working tools etc...

I have a few ideas for cutting tests, battoning, shaving but seeing as the videos are aimed at the bushcraft community I wanted to ask what others would want to see in a review of sharps and tools.

Are people interested in statistics like size, material and weight or would you prefer practical demonstrations and if so what type?

Any particular tests you would like to see or specific features you would like focused on?

All comments gratefully received.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think size and weight are important, and in the case of things like mugs or stoves, whether they pack into common pots (Zebra billy, MSR Titan kettle, etc) or pouches. Boil times are so variable as to be worthless in my opinion.

If I buy a cutting tool I assume it is sharp and will cut, so I really only need to know if it isn't, or if it is more suited to certain functions than others. Also, be picky. I want to know the little niggles, as far some of us those niggles will be enough to make us avoid it. Equally, if it does something very well, or is comfortable, etc, then praise it. There is nothing worse than a review that sits on the fence ad basically says "Right folks, this is the new titanium spork with folding saw and hand warmer. It works okay".

Video wise, show the item from more than one side - it helps people get a feel for how it looks.

Finally, a lot of people don't mention price, which for a lot of us is a key factor. I don't care how great it is if I can't afford it! You don't need to mention prices from specific suppliers, but give a ballpark figure as a guide.

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
with knives and stuff even though all measurement may be given ie length width etc i find it is always good to have a universal comparison that most people will have to compare it to, for this i generally use a sak, usually a spartan. i place this next to whatever knife im selling reviewing etc so people will have something to visually/mentally compare it to

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I've never done one but sound quality is very important. There is nothing more annoying than poor sound. Also camera position try not to do long shots close ups are better. If you get a chance check out Wildlore on you tube I've always found his production and delivery very clear. Good luck.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Please don't be yet another person making shaky videos full off ummm and errrr. Don't be someone whose version of an axe review is "its shaving sharp", then you split one log and crosscut another whilst the wind howls over the mic.

There are thousands of review videos. Probably dozens on any given axe. Please don't make " just another review". Make something that is original. Longer term, better produced, more experienced.

Really, what do you plan to do that hasn't already been done over and over?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
To me there are a thousand reviews on things new to the person. I am not interested in how happy someone is when they first get something, i want to know how happy they are after one, two or ten years of use, and that's proper use not the odd weekend outing. I want to see something used not presented in a pristine condition with half the review full of chat about the box it came in and how shiny it is. I don't care if it can be broken by useof a sledgehammer but functionality in normal use is good. I made a few videos a while back and they serve me as reminders of exactly what i don't like, silly shaky un rehearsed nonsense talking about silly knives :D. Real experience in using the product is invaluable, I will not teach a skill or present a bit of kit without having first used it to the point of being comfortable in its operation.

Also any knife should arrive sharp, thats not important, but how easy it is to reharpen with a light packable sharpening tool is. Also how well it keeps it's edge in normal use.

These are only my views though dude.

OH! Also i don't care how well a cookset works inside your kitchen or even in your garden.....unless your garden is a mountainside. :D

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
BR/Southey that's just the kind of things I wanted to hear. Most of my tools and kit I use regularly and have done for some time so am planning on giving my own opinions on good bits and bad alike. BR I know what you mean which is why I wanted to canvas opinion on what people want to see, I don't plan on doing promo or advertising videos and don't expect to be producing anything truly unique (as you say reviews have been done again and again) just wanting to give my two pence worth on what I use.

I tend to use here, YouTube and other online sources when I'm looking to purchase something new to get a feel for how other have found things. I know a lot is just personal preference as many axes, knives, saws etc... Can be used for multiple tasks and there is always a risk of promoting one brand over another but still find it useful to hear others opinions.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I guess its worth asking....what is there to say that hasn't been said? It would be great to see someone show why a snedding axe has a long helve, how the laws of torque prove an axe out chops a knife, why a cross cutting axe needs a different profile to a splitting axe, why splitting rounds on the deck damages your helve.

Real solid information that many dont know demonstrated in visual form :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE