Your venison recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I got a peice of unhung veniso fillet for a christmas dinner, as Im having two this year:)
Im not sure how to get the best out of it. Should I just roast it in the oven like a turkey, or fry it as medalions? or any good recipes, Ive not done venison before.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
It will be delicious roasted or fried.

I'd season it, stick it in a little butter in a hot pan to sear the outside, then finish it in the oven. Venison should be served rare, so don't leave it in too long, but do rest it for at least 15 minutes before carving.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
For fillet:

cut into 1.5"ish medallions hot frying pan and get the grill hot too. Get a small bit of oil hot in the pan put the medallions in once really hot and cook halfway through on one side only without turning, as soon as this stage is reach chuck it under the grill and cooke without turning again till it looks like it done. This we be the best steak you have ever eaten. Serve with onions, mushrooms and potato and sweet potato mash

Cube it, chuck it in a bowl. Pour a bottle of dark beer or guinnes over it to completely cover it. Put it in the fridge covered for 4 days. After two days open a tin of pears and put in bowl. After three days, dice to a small size a few onions and lightly fry until golden, chuck in the bowl. After 4 days add any summer fruits that you have defrosted in your freezer, raspberries, brambles (even a spot of honey too) and the like.
On the 5th day take out fridge, put in large dutch oven type pot and simmer very slowly for a minimum of 4 hours with the lid on. Remove lid after 4 hours and reduce liquid. Serve as a side dish to Turkey or serve with mashed turnip and cream with nutmeg and creamed mashed potatoes.

I do this every year and so far no deaths! :lmao: It does go down very well but it is so rich you don't need a lot. And it really does need the prep.

WS

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks guys heres the plan - Im going to put it in the oven with bacon over it and red wine. Not sure how long it needs, but it wont be much its not very big. Then ill make agravy and serve with roasties and parsnips done in beef fat, a pile of nice veg and onion sauce on the side. :)

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Hi Firecrest, this is my plan for xmas day dinner........

Bring the Venison to room temperature for 10 minutes before popping it in the oven. The crunchy golden potatoes were invented by the Hasselbacken Restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden and are an excellent alternative to roast potatoes.

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Rub the fillet all over with the olive oil, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. For a very neat presentation, tie the Venison up along its length at 4cm intervals with fine string. This will firm it up and give it a good round shape.

Place a peeled potato in the bowl of a wooden spoon and make vertical slices, 2 - 3mm apart, about 3/4 of the way through each potato. The wooden spoon will stop the knife cutting all the way through. Place the potatoes in a buttered baking dish, cuts uppermost. Melt half of the butter and pour it over the potatoes, then sprinkle with salt.

Heat a heavy roasting pan or very large frying pan until very hot indeed and add the fillet. Brown this quickly and evenly all the way round. Season again and place the Venison and potatoes in the oven. Roast the Venison for 20 minutes for RARE or 25 - 30 minutes for MEDIUM. Bake the potatoes for 30 minutes, now and then basting the with melted butter. After 30 minutes, sprinkle the breadcrumbs and grated cheese (optional) over the potatoes.

When the Venison is cooked to your liking, remove it from the oven and transfer to a warm serving plate to relax for about 10 minutes. While you make a gravy, finish cooking the potatoes for another 15 minutes until golden and crisp.

Put the roasting pan over the heat, sprinkle with a tbsp. of flour and cook for a minute until brown. Deglaze the pan with a glass of red wine or port, scraping up the bits sticking to the bottom of the pan (at this stage you could add a couple of dried mushrooms for extra flavour). Whisk in the game or beef stock, season well and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until syrupy. Strain into a gravy boat.

Slice the Venison and lay on a bed of thinly shredded radicchio, and serve with the wine gravy and Hasselback potatoes.

Mark

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
It was smashing John! I did it slightly rare cooked in redwine. I then made red wine gravy, roast parsnips and taters in goose fat, served in one of them giant yorkshore puddings.
I think ill be buying venison again and trying out some more of these recipes :)

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I did this one with some reindeer for christmas dinner, was good. Used about 1.3Kg lump.

Take the frozen meat put it in a pan in the oven. (~ 10 pm)
Set the temp at ~ 80-90 degrees. (lower temp longer cooking time)
In the morning (~ 8 am) the meat should look brown and shrunken.
Place the thermometer in the meat. The internal temp when this is done (can take a couple of hours more) should be 70-75 degrees. (to prefer) 65 -70 (red) 75-80 (well done)

When the temp starts to close finished, start with a pan that will just fit the meat (aprox 10 am).

The amount of water that you will prepare should cover the meat.

1-2 litre of water
1-1,5 dl of salt
1 -1,5 tsp sugar (can be left out)
1 -1,5 tsp new crushed black pepper
2 -3 leaf of laurel (or bay leaf ?)
2 -3 fresh thyme branches
10 -15 juniper berry churched
Make it boil when you are close to finishing the meat.

When meat is done place the meat in the hot water and leave to cool until dinner (5-6 hours)

When main course is to be served take the meat up from the pan, slice it as thin as you can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE