Your favorite tea mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I guess this goes here and you all know I mean your "favourite" tea mug.

One keeps reading of how terrible metal mugs are for drinking a hot beverage like tea or coffee and the military issue ones usually are. I am thinking here of all those based on the old American pattern from before WWI, which includes the British 1944 pattern. I don't know what others use but for a long time I used a British pattern 1958 plastic mug, which generally fits the bill very well. But I'm a pretty backwards kind of guy and much given to going back a few generations to start over on some aspect of the outdoor life. In this case, I rediscovered the tin mug.

Actually, it isn't tin at all. It is an enameled steel one-pint mug that is sometimes called granite ware. They come in other sizes but it happens to be almost the exact same mug used in the British army until replaced by either the P44 or P58 variety, except that it is a different color (I mean colour!) and there are no broadarrows to be found. From using it around the house for the last two weeks, I decided there were no disadvantages to using the mug from the standpoint of burnt lips, though the issue canteen cups will do that unless great care is taken. In addition, it is more stable on an uneven surface and is of some value for warming your hands in the morning.

It seems odd to me that something that has gone out of general use decades ago should appear to be more useful than something more up to the minute. On the other hand, I bought mine brand new only a couple of years ago and there were plenty more on the shelf, so maybe others share the same idea, at least of mugs.

I only mention this because coffee and tea are so important to my daily motivations.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
This is mine.
Tough as old boots and I can brew up with it on whatever heat source is available.

423_2341_1.jpg

417_1749_1.jpg

415_1509_1c.jpg

I used to use an enameled mug but it got very badly chipped and i replaced it with the stainless crusader and haven't looked back.

rb

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
The contraption is the 'Pocket Cooker'
It is a little folding pocket cooker. It uses a similar fuel loading principle to the kelly kettle except it is primarily a cooker, you can load it up with anything, create your little fire and cook on it..
Trekdirect used to sell them, but dont appear to have any stock. I would like one when I get some extra cash.

http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Cookware_53.html

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I bought a couple of those double skinned stainless mugs from Mattalan a couple of years ago and round the house I use those, so far they have been dropped a few times with no ill effects and I can walk my girfriends daughter to the train station and then walk back home (round trip of about half an hour) and the cup of tea that I left at home is still warm enough for me.

Think they cost about four quid each and I can't say I have noticed any weird taste from it :confused:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i use either my crusader mug or a 1 1/2pt s/steel mug i got in poundland. that way when i'm out i can heat water in the fire (i made lids for both from 1/2mm aluminium) od just place my brew at the fires edge to keep it warm

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
I am definately a convert to the double walled mugs, with the plastic screw on lids. My drive to work is about 1½hrs each way, and the tea/coffee is still hot when I get here.

If its cold and wet outdoors, I'll drink hot tea/coffee from my boots if I had too! :)

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Up until this year I used a an Aladdin insulated mug it's huge and bulky but because of it's lid it hold all I need to make a brew except the cooker (only because I don't have one small enough but they are out there)

But this year I got S/S Crusader mug and joined with the water bottle and cooker unit it's a great all round brew kit and lightweight food cooker. That said as I my wife also started camping this year she picked up two enameled mugs that are small and suit the car camping very well. In fact I have to agree with Bluetrain here they are a highly under rated outdoor mug and our ones are small and light enought to carry in your back with out being noticed plus they are very cheap and easy to replace.

James

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
i use a brit./aussie ww2 enamel mug most of the time and a crusader mug or U.S. stainless steel canteen cup sometimes......fact is i have to much kit !...sometimes i have a problem trying to decide which item of kit to take :) ......vince g 11b inf....

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
My favourite mug usually tends to be the biggest one I can get my hands on when theres a brew going.
My crusader has at least managed to avoid getting broken so far which is a better record than many mugs manage in my clumsy hands...

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
my fav at the moment is a red plastic doublewalled 'ships' type mug. Although it is HUGELY bulky it dosn't fall over and keeps drinks hot for ages! (I now even finish mugs of tea at Scout camp as they always used to get cold / knocked over when i got sidetracked)

this is the closest piccie I could find - they seem to have changed the model - must have had it longer than I thought:eek: (in fact was possibly the best purchase from Millets i've ever made ;) )

i_wide.JPG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
As I don't drink tea, maybe I shouldn't answer, but I am a camp coffee fanatic, and can't be without my cup.

When in a group, using a common kettle, I carry a canoe cup, or noggin. My favorites are made from burl, one birch, one maple. These take a while to make, as the burl is very hard to work. I'd put up a photo - if I knew how.

When on my own, I use an old bean can with the bail made from coat hanger wire. Simple to make and no trouble if it's lost or damaged.

PG

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
bikething said:
RB, that's an interesting contraption in the bottom picture..

what is it? :confused:

Steve

Pocket cooker
422_2245_1a.jpg
422_2261_1a.jpg

422_2249_1.jpg
422_2258_1.jpg

422_2251_1.jpg
422_2254_1.jpg

422_2257_1.jpg
415_1509_1c.jpg

Dimensions folded approx. : 16cm x 9.5cm x 2.5cm
Weight : 600g

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok now i don't have a favorite mug just stoves to make it .I use coffee beans then grind up to use. All these stove are denatured alcohol a 1/2 oz fuel will boil 14 oz water 3 min. just right for coffee not to hot. The 1/2 oz of fuel in the stoves some last 8 min. some 11 min. after 6 min. get real good boiling.

astove10.jpg

astove11.jpg

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
British Red said:
Nice stoves....but what is the 2 stroke mixing bottle for????

To measure it squeeze fulls up other side it holds1/2 oz and 1 oz i put food color in it to see it they are not a two stroke stoves [ he. he. ]

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I use a plastic double wall mug with top during winter outtings. Only double wall with styofoam in it that I could find.

I do love the canteen cups because they are pots also. I carry a Nalgene bottle more though so I hope to get one of the new mugs that fit the bottom of them. Not many stores carry them, and none local.

Now I have the sudden urge to pound sheet metal into a vague mug shape. Anyone done this?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE