Your Bannock/Damper recipe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Try this:

plain flour
baking powder
pinch of salt
pine nuts
splash of olive oil

Squeeze it around a de-barked stick at prop it over a fire, turning occaisionally. Then pass the stick around for your chums to break a chunk off. Goes well with bacon and spicey beans. The whole meal requires no pots (beans cooked in the can).

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Got a bit of a question, I tried cooking it in the frying pan of my trangia the other night and when i had it on full I ended up burning the bottom then put the simmer ring on and it wouldn't cook through, it was just taking ages so I took half out and tried to squish it down, stil took ages and didn't cook through properly.

I put the other half in the oven and it did ok, but how should I cook it on the trangia? :/

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
My favourite way to cook damper is to roll the dough into a snake, spiral the snake around a cooking stick, and cook it over the embers of the campfire.

Another way is to cook it on the stones at the side of the campfire.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I've recently started making these little breakfast - type sweet cakes of bannock:

Ingedients:

plain flour (1 cup - or more if the mix seems too sticky)
1tsp baking soda
1tsp mixed spice or cinnamon
1 handful sultanas/mixed fruit
2-3 tbsp sugar
water

Method: mix all the dry ingredients, then add water slowly until you get a sticky dough, then take a table spoon of the mixture and put it in a mess tin over fire/stove with a littl marg or butter. The important thing is to keep turning the cakes over so they cook all the way through and go golden brown (not burnt) on both sides.

This makes about 5-6 small flat cakes that go really well with morning coffee, after camping out in the woods at night - takes about 3-4 minutes to mix and a few mintes each side to cook. I've even started making these at home, since they are so quick and convenient.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I use the 321 method (or Dustybin as I like to call it ;)). 3 parts self raising flour, 2 parts milk powder, 1 finger baking powder and a teaspoon of salt. I add sugar, chocolate chips (and if suitable, a splash of Southern Comfort). Trick is to add as little water as possible and not knead too much.

Awesome campfire food.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
for mix >>
equal quantities of self-raising flour and stoneground wholemeal flour (cup of each one, NO baking powder added)
salt to taste
good handful of seed mix (mixture of sunflower/pumkin/sesame seeds)
Dollop of honey or sugar (honey for preference)
mix into a quite dry dough, for best results bake oven-style (better baked than fried as it rises slightly and makes a nice little bread-like bun, if mix is quite dry no need to oil pot, while mix intially sticks it will fall out of pot cleanly when fully cooked leaving pot clean).

Dried fruit nice addition too, as is Cheese cut into small bits, Dates as well, even tried adding bit of tomato puree, and once even worcester sauce. Barley flour mixed with self-raisng makes nice bannock too. Nice to experiment but mix above i like best so far. Baking i prefer but when frying mix quite dry and tilt the pan so facing the bannock towards the heat not the bottom of the frying pan, don't burn bottom of bannock or pan that way. If frying on small stove keep dough thin as possible so cooks through quick, more chappati-like though that way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE