You silly buzzard!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’m used to birds bouncing off my front window at this time of year as I think they’re after the reflection of the rowan tree and its berries in my front garden. But something nearly took the window out this morning! When I looked I couldn’t believe what was wandering around dazed!

I managed to snap this through the window just before it flew off – is it a buzzard?

100_1255.jpg

Andy

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That looks more like a sparrowhawk to me, probably a juvenile. I'm no expert though. What size is it - hard to tell from the photo?

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That would be a bit big for a sparrowhawk then and you may be right. I'd say sparrowhawks were inherently more likely to hit windows whilst in hot pursuit than buzzards though.

I'll bow out now and see what everyone else has to say.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I'd say Sparrowhawk....brownish plumage indicates female or juvenile though juv's have streaking rather than barring. While buzzards have great variations in plumage the barring is characteristic of Sparrowhawks and Goshawk. I don't think it's a Gos as they're pretty secretive residents of dense woodland, whereas Sparrowhawks are frequent foragers of birdtable garden birds and your pic seems to fit that catagory....

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would definitely say female sparrowhawk, look at its skinny little foot, gos and buzzard are much more chunky. As falcon says frequent feeders at the bird table but normally here and gone in the blink of an eye leaving only a cacophony of alarm calls behind them. Nice to get the picture.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I would estimate about 18 inches from slightly bent beak to tail!

Certainly sounds a bit big for a sparrowhawk, picture doesn't help hugely, are the feet and legs yellow? Could be a juvy buzzard also looks a bit bulky for a perigrine wouldn't be a harrier would it? I'm having a little problem with the colour on this machine so I may be way off.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I think the feet were yellow, but the whole thing was only a split second, I didn't see much more than the picture

thewanderer

Sep 24, 2008
stanley county durham
thats definately a sparrow hawk looking slightly stunned
majority of common buzzards (Buteo buteo) are brown with the breast mottling lighter brown with paler

it it was grey with the pale breast and black mottling then it would have been a goshawk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE